Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any other MST3k fans around here?

I never really caught the show during its original television run. I do vaguely recall flipping past it a few times and wondering what the point was. Then, on a whim, somewhere around hmm 6-7 years ago while they were showing reruns on the sci-fi channel, I decided to check it out and I became officially addicted.

I have all the boxsets, a good number of the single dvds, all the Film Crew releases, and a couple rifftrax in my collection so far.

Sadly, no one I have ever met has either heard of the show or been a fan.

For you fans, have you heard that there is going to be a "Rifftrax live" event on the 20th of this month where they are broadcasting a live feed of a riffing into a huge amount of theaters around the US? I was so excited to learn that it is coming to a theater right near me and I had to get my ticket right away. :)

·
Registered
784 Posts
When I was growing up, my brother would tape all the shows as they came on the Comedy Channel. Probably where some of my weird sense of humor came from. I only have a few DVDs, but I'm definitely a huge fan.

·
R.I.P. Do not contact.
1,905 Posts
Yep, definitely warped my mind as a wee one. Mountain5's mention of The Comedy Channel just threw me into a severe nostalgia inferno.

Has anyone seen the Cinematic Titantic episodes? Sounds promising. They did a two-day live appearance locally, but it was sold out and the price was somewhat steep.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I appreciate a good MST3k although they can really do some lame stuff on there. I occasionally rent them from Netflix; Netflix has a great library of them.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
I went to see the movie when it first came out - in an actual theatre! my friend and i were 2 of maybe 6 people in the entire place. He went to get popcorn. When he came back in, I yelled and waved frantically, as if he would never find me. It was an hilarious night, let me tell you.

·
Registered
784 Posts
For some reason even though I love the show, I've never seen the movie and I've never really been interested in Rifftrax or the other spin offs.

I've converted a few of my friends over the years, but I have a hard time with it because a lot of the skits with Joel and Mike just look so damn tacky nowadays.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've converted a few of my friends over the years, but I have a hard time with it because a lot of the skits with Joel and Mike just look so damn tacky nowadays.
Yeah, this was part of why I think it took me so long to see the funny in the series, cause I would go past the skit parts and wrinkle my nose. I have learned to embrace them though and they can be rather amusing in a cheesy way. :)

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
I'm such a MSTie, even though I haven't seen all of the episodes. I'm a little late in collecting the boxed sets. I recently bought the 20th Anniversary Edition and Volume 14. I was going to buy Vol. 8 but I think it's been discontinued. :(

But yay, nice to meet a MSTie here. good times.
(Rawsdower 4-ever)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm such a MSTie, even though I haven't seen all of the episodes. I'm a little late in collecting the boxed sets. I recently bought the 20th Anniversary Edition and Volume 14. I was going to buy Vol. 8 but I think it's been discontinued. :(

But yay, nice to meet a MSTie here. good times.
(Rawsdower 4-ever)
Aw, I feel your pain. I hear a good number of the earlier sets are getting to be iffy in "out of print" status. I bought my first two when I first realized I enjoyed the series, they had put out box volume 5 or 6 at that point. I rushed to grab the rest and from then on, I preordered the new ones. It really paid off when vol. 10 got pulled off the market over the Godzilla flick. :)

Anyways, sorry if I rambled out my whole buying history, I am a DVD collector (and enjoyer) at heart.

What is everyone's favorite and least favorite episodes? (from any of the riffing series, so including rifftrax, cinematic titanic, film crew)

It's hard for me to pick a favorite, though I especially love the Joe Don Baker episodes. I can see why they picked him to be an "action star" and get all the ladies. :D
I also have a weird love for Manos. I have heard tons of people diss the episode for being hard to watch due to the sheer quality of the movie. But it enthralls me.

From all the episodes I've watched so far, there is only one I really dislike. Hamlet. I'm sorry, it took me two tries to even make it through that one.

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
So far, I managed to get the first 7 boxed sets, and of course, I mentioned 8 seems to be OOP now, along with Vol. 9. I recall that 10 was taken off the shelf but rereleased as 10.2 with a new film in its place, so I guess that will be my next one.
The great thing about the series is the episodes don't have to be viewed in order - they're individuals, so missing episodes isn't so bad. I'm a DVD collector myself, and the gaps here and there occasionally irritate me, haha!
I haven't seen any Film Crew, Cinematic Titanic, and Rifftrax eps...since I have dial-up net, downloading Rifftrax could prove to be difficult. I'm just a regular MSTie for the time being.
I haven't seen all of the episodes, but I enjoy "The Final Sacrifice", "Time Chasers", "Future War", "Bloodlust", "Final Justice"...just to name a few! I seem to have seen more Mike episodes than Joel ones, but they're both excellent hosts in their own unique way.
I didn't really like "Hamlet" at first, but after studying the play in high school, it took on new meaning, so I like it very much now. I just watched "First Spaceship on Venus" recently, and I couldn't get into that one.
Manos is hilarious. I like the title translates to "Hands: The Hands of Fate", and the shot where the driving keeps repeating is such an LOL-moment.
Anyway, I'll conclude my MSTie-obsessed post for now. I could go on forever here! :)

·
Registered
784 Posts
I saw "Hercules vs. the Moon Men" a while ago, I don't think it's one of the popular episodes, but it has a lot of great moments. Also liked Cave Dwellers, which was on one of the boxed sets I got.

Pod People seems to be a good one to show to friends, it has a lot of memorable lines ("Trumpy, you can do magic things!"). The skits with Joel are still tacky, but bearable to people who haven't seen the show before.

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
I recall Pod People having multiple storylines, bringing much confusion and laughs. ;)
I just finished watching Laserblast last night. That was pretty crazy.

·
Immortal Corrupter
117 Posts
I'm a big fan too, I remember watching them even as a kid, the best thing about Thanksgiving was the MST3K marathons. My favorite episode is probably Cave Dwellers. And even I didn't like the newer cast as much, Space Mutiny is one of the funniest episodes ever. Also loved the Godzilla and Gamera movies- "Gamera is really neat, he is filled with turtle meat, we believe in Gamera!"

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't seen any Film Crew, Cinematic Titanic, and Rifftrax eps...since I have dial-up net, downloading Rifftrax could prove to be difficult. I'm just a regular MSTie for the time being.
Actually, if you weren't aware, some of the Rifftrax (along with all of the other two) are available on DVD. I'm not much of a downloader either, I have way too much to watch to bother syncing stuff up. Rifftrax and Film Crew are pretty reasonable priced (if you look around), but the Cinematic Titanic releases never seem to drop below 15$ each since they are only sold through the CT site and not regular stores. Hence why they are the only offshoot I don't own any of yet.

I have the 2 Rifftrax dvds of shorts, which I hear is some of the best stuff. I will update when I watch them. :)

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
Yes, I am aware of the Rifftrax and Film Crew DVDs. I think I'm gonna catch up on the boxed sets first (I think I have 3 more to go, not counting the two that are apparently out of print). ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
when i get money i'll buy as much mst3k as i can. i have fond memories of it, as it was a gem of a show on comedy central.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts