Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'd cut down on sets and reps

and only do squats pull-ups and bent rows.

·
Being human liek aye baws
425 Posts
I think the vid was fairly well done if your objective was just to present your exercises, not show "how" you were doing them.

The music was fabulousawesome.

I loved the parts where you paused to do stuff at the cam, those were the vid highlights. xD

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd cut down on sets and reps

and only do squats pull-ups and bent rows.
I agree with the amount of reps. The squats, which I did 15 reps per set is actually 3 reps above my normal rep range (6-12). Pullups are getting the point where I need a belt with weights to add more resistance and less rep range (depending). I USUALLY focus on rep ranges where I can go to failure no higher than 12. The DB lunges I was doing were about 12 reps per leg; pullups rounded to about 10 reps; calf raises were pretty high at 55 reps (may change that up), bent rows were around 12 per rep; dead lifts were around 12 or little higher (I may have dead lifts and bent row reps confused on this example but w/e)...

I just started eating right whereas before I was eating w/e I wanted whenever I wanted. I have made a meal plan that now accounts for access protein, carbs and a decent mix of fats and calories. Last year I hurt myself because I was probably over training without proper nutrients and I hurt my arm so bad I had to stop exercising for 8 months!

W/e though, hopefully I'll learn from that and stay with proper nutrition, but I'll stick to around 5 day splits 1 day off depending on how my body feels. If need be I'll take more or less time off.

Why do you only recommend squats, pullups and bent rows?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Niice. I added you on youtube =]
Cool! Thanks!

I kind of feel like a moron for adding this because I put it on my facebook as well but I've always been into recording myself via voice or w.e means and this kind of fits that bill.

Also, I may look rough but I'm a nice guy! Maybe next time I'll add some Beetles to the mix? jk :b

·
MEAT POPSICLE
857 Posts
Wow, you are lucky! With my Sa I do not even let people take my photo,let alone post on a public forum like youtube!

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Cool Vid Cool Music I'm going to add bent rows to my workout routine.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, you are lucky! With my Sa I do not even let people take my photo,let alone post on a public forum like youtube!
Youtube doesn't bother me because no one knows me but facebook makes me feel uneasy. Life is imperfect anyway. I think the more we accept this the better off we will be in many regards so w/e! :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
When I clicked the link honestly I did not expect it would be this cool.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I agree with the amount of reps. The squats, which I did 15 reps per set is actually 3 reps above my normal rep range (6-12). Pullups are getting the point where I need a belt with weights to add more resistance and less rep range (depending). I USUALLY focus on rep ranges where I can go to failure no higher than 12. The DB lunges I was doing were about 12 reps per leg; pullups rounded to about 10 reps; calf raises were pretty high at 55 reps (may change that up), bent rows were around 12 per rep; dead lifts were around 12 or little higher (I may have dead lifts and bent row reps confused on this example but w/e)...

I just started eating right whereas before I was eating w/e I wanted whenever I wanted. I have made a meal plan that now accounts for access protein, carbs and a decent mix of fats and calories. Last year I hurt myself because I was probably over training without proper nutrients and I hurt my arm so bad I had to stop exercising for 8 months!

W/e though, hopefully I'll learn from that and stay with proper nutrition, but I'll stick to around 5 day splits 1 day off depending on how my body feels. If need be I'll take more or less time off.

Why do you only recommend squats, pullups and bent rows?
If you're goals are strength low reps and lots of rest between sets is best. People say reps to 8-12 are best but that's bs. That's more for assistance exercises or rehab. Sets of 5 work strength and for novice lifters provide the best results for myofibrillar hypertrophy. Sets of 8-12 are okay for bent rows though.

As for exercise selection, you're working way too many of the same muscle groups. Calf-raises really only work the calves and they really don't help you that much. Lunges are good, but if you're doing squats there is no need to do them. You should also think of bringing your butt lower than your knees on squats.

all in all, It's just too much volume. You look strong, but you could get a lot stronger if you focused on a few lifts and do less volume. Right now it looks like you're beating yourself up. I guess this really all depends on your goals so I can't really say anything to specific here, but I'm sure you're starting to understand.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you're goals are strength low reps and lots of rest between sets is best. People say reps to 8-12 are best but that's bs. That's more for assistance exercises or rehab. Sets of 5 work strength and for novice lifters provide the best results for myofibrillar hypertrophy. Sets of 8-12 are okay for bent rows though.

As for exercise selection, you're working way too many of the same muscle groups. Calf-raises really only work the calves and they really don't help you that much. Lunges are good, but if you're doing squats there is no need to do them. You should also think of bringing your butt lower than your knees on squats.

all in all, It's just too much volume. You look strong, but you could get a lot stronger if you focused on a few lifts and do less volume. Right now it looks like you're beating yourself up. I guess this really all depends on your goals so I can't really say anything to specific here, but I'm sure you're starting to understand.
For the most part I think your right. I find it kind of odd you'd only do squats for legs though. I would think another exercise with the legs besides calf raises would be beneficial. The stiff legged dead lifts are good for hamstrings but I admit I'm not using good form on them and I'm working my lower back mainly, which is probably not good. Also, the lunges could probably go, your right.

As far as the rep ranges, I feel 12 reps is pretty high for gaining mass. For some reason I've stuck to a 8-12 for most workouts. I agree going heavier would be better with lower rep range.

I have noticed a lot of flaws in "full" reps and proper form. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I should lower the weights first and work on form instead of weight. It has been a wake up call how much my ego gets in the way and this is stupid.

Next video I do I will put my ego away and focus on proper technique with low rep range close to failure. I won't speed up the video either so you can see it better.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yeah sounds good. For lower body dead-lift will work quads as well. Just do regular dl though.

Reactions: bsd3355
929 Posts
Good stuff OP.
If you're not doing regular deadlifts, replace the Stiff Legs with those.
Doing more direct hamstring work will be more important later on when you plateau in strength, but for now, just work on getting more weight up on squats and deadlifts.
Hard to judge squat form with the sped up video to be honest though.

Do you have any way of doing seated calf raises? Really gotta hit them doing standing and seated to get the most out of your calves

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good stuff OP.
If you're not doing regular deadlifts, replace the Stiff Legs with those.
Doing more direct hamstring work will be more important later on when you plateau in strength, but for now, just work on getting more weight up on squats and deadlifts.
Hard to judge squat form with the sped up video to be honest though.

Do you have any way of doing seated calf raises? Really gotta hit them doing standing and seated to get the most out of your calves
Man, I really like this advice! I will substitute stiff legged DL with regular deadlifts from now on! Great advice!

Yes, my squats are not full. I was watching proper technique on youtube last night. My butt doesn't go down far enough.

I really wanted to do calfs sitting down at first but the only idea I could come up with was putting the ez bar on my lap which hurts like a mofo because all the weight even with a cushion on my lap. It also is very awkward and unbalanced I feel. Unless you can come up with a better idea I'll stick with standing raises for now?

Wow, didn't think I'd get this much responses! I also didn't think people would help me out this much! THANKS! I'll upload some more video later. Seems like I could use some help with technique and such! :D:D:D Lately I have really wanted to drop the ego and start doing perfect technique...

So for my leg and back workout, it is now (in order):

Squats (4 sets; 4-8 reps max?)
Calf raises (4 sets; 10-16 max?)

Pullups [4 sets; to failure with dip belt weights (untested)]
Bent rows (4 sets; 6-10 reps max?)
Deadlifts (4 sets; 4-8 reps max?)

Good? What do you think about rep range and such?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yeah that looks good. I personally like three sets of 5 the best for squat. And for DL only do one or two sets. It's a good lift but very taxing on the body since it uses basically every muscle in it.

One question though, do you want to target calf raises for looks though or for jumping or performance. Big calves are hard to come buy because most people can't really develop them so trying to get them bigger you might need to focus. But for power/ and or jumping they don't help that much.

I'd replace them with running sprints.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah that looks good. I personally like three sets of 5 the best for squat. And for DL only do one or two sets. It's a good lift but very taxing on the body since it uses basically every muscle in it.

One question though, do you want to target calf raises for looks though or for jumping or performance. Big calves are hard to come buy because most people can't really develop them so trying to get them bigger you might need to focus. But for power/ and or jumping they don't help that much.

I'd replace them with running sprints.
Didn't know you couldn't develop your calfs that easily as other muscles. I just do them for the same reason I do all my other muscles: to look good and feel strong and be healthy I guess. Why not do them? They are a muscle too that can be developed, right? Might as well train them! It doesn't take much time either.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts