Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My name is Sarah. I'm 29, married, and have 2 children. I have had SA my entire life. I grew up thinking I was the only person in the world like me. I had no idea others suffered, too.

I got taken out of preschool after just a few months because I refused to talk to the other kids and teachers and wouldn't participate in any of the activites. I spent K-12 miserable and lonely and suffering in silence. I can count on 1 hand the friends that I had. I had many humiliating experiences. After graduation, I didn't attend college because of my SA. Instead I worked sucky jobs and usually at least once got reprimended for something SA related. Somehow my husband fell for me and we got married. I did not enjoy my wedding day. I couldn't wait for it to be over. After my daughter I got worse, if that's possible. Being a SAHM isolates you a bit. Most moms can't wait to show off their new baby, but I was terrified. Having a new baby means you are center of attention and everyone's watching you. Same with my son. I have gone to the same church all my life and still get nervous everytime I leave to go. There are people that just started going there that are far more comfortable and involved than me. My husband has a high ranking in the church and I feel like I make him look bad.

Anyhow, I am glad I found this place. I've really had enough of this and want help. I have a long journey ahead of me, though. I see my kids and do not want them to be like this. I already see the beginnings of SA with my daughter and I would literally give my right arm for her to not be this way at all. I want them to be confident, assertive, not afraid to speak their mind and get what they want.

On top of that I homeschool. Which means that I am responsible for my kids' socialization. That is terrifying for me and made me realize I have go to do something. I have grown up with parents in denial (even though my dad and brother also suffer from this), a type A church that feels shyness is only self-centeredness and nothing more and a husband that is against drugs, etc. Like I said I have a long road ahead of me. :-\ I could really use some support from people who understand.

Well, if you read all of that, thank you! I guess I just needed to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening. :)

Sarah

·
Just chilling
223 Posts
Hi :wel

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Sarah, welcome to :sas

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for welcoming me. You all seem very nice and supportive. :)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Sarah106! :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
welcome! I hope you find all the help you need here! There's ton of good advice and encouragement! And ps, just so you know, i've made major leaps of improvement in my SA without taking any drugs, so it can be done! =]

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts