Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new, been lurking for quite a while but never really been bothered to post something up. Haven't posted in the introduction forums, got nothing to say there :b

Anyway i'll give a bit of background before I ask my questions :)

Im 18, Jason, from Essex (south east) suffered from SA since from when I was small, also have ocd which I've had since I was 10, I'm on Citalopram right now for my OCD, and Propanolol for SA. (Doesn't do anything for me, I have underlying anxiety more than anything physical, all my stuff is in my head.)

Was born at 7 months in 91 and had a sister arrive 7 years later at 6 months, shes got cerebral palsy due to being so premature. Noticed my behavior at school started to change when she came on the scene, during earlier years I was confident talkative etc etc, but from year 3 onwards started trying to get more and more attention from people, maybe because of a lack of it at home, after probably a year of name calling from others and negativity I started hanging around on my own and not realy talking to anyone. Carried on till year 6.

By the time I got to secondary, I had lost pretty much any confidence I had left, through the school negativity, loss of friends (moved house) and problems at home (arguing parents & violent father)

Started year 7 and developed OCD through constant worrying about lessons like Drama & PE, this went on for years untill I was taken out of the lessons. Kids from my earlier school then reached year 7 and put me down practically every day, by this time I had no confidence left, hands in pockets, looking down etc, which made a lot of the kids try take advantage. I considered myself lucky if I got through a day without someone saying something.

All this stuff carried on outside school on the way home, where I started having panic attacks from groups of kids confronting me whilst alone.

Left school in year 10 to stay there and only go in out of hours to help out there IT staff and get me out of the house. Went onto medication at this time. Left there to go to a private school where troubled kids went, failed pretty much all my GCSE's & wen't onto a small college to do a short course, dropped out after 2 months after not being able to cope.

Lost most of my friends throughout the years now just have like 'connections' to people who I occasionally see and go out with, make it a habit of going out with the family n that.

90% of the time using alcohol to get me out of the house and talking, trying to keep off of the stuff now as It's wound me up in hospital a few times... Gone to the NHS for CBT, the priory for CBT and therapy, and privately for Hypnotherapy, which have all helped me in certain area's, got me to where I am today, wanting to get better and work / study etc.

Thats the essay finished..... :mum

Was looking for work around 6 months ago, having the confidence and want to achieve it, just need a push to actually be able to get out there and do it though, going to sign on now instead just to take a step, which is why I started taking propanolol, haven't found any difference on it what-so-ever so I'm looking for something else just to help me with confidence / anxiety.

I've heard good about Diazepam and have a doctor willing to prescribe it to me.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Sorry for the long post!

PS: I know there are quite a few people who use / are helped by alcohol and then others who arent, I'm someone who definetly is, so Interested to see what medications have helped them out

Thanks for any replies ;)

Don't know whether to put this in introductions or medications.....

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Started year 7 and developed OCD through constant worrying about lessons like Drama & PE, this went on for years untill I was taken out of the lessons. Kids from my earlier school then reached year 7 and put me down practically every day, by this time I had no confidence left, hands in pockets, looking down etc, which made a lot of the kids try take advantage. I considered myself lucky if I got through a day without someone saying something.
That sounds like my school life, at least from secondary school. F*** drama, I dunno why I even went to that bulls***; wasn't as if I had a budding career in the acting business waiting to be discovered. Painful, painful memories.

I've heard good about Diazepam and have a doctor willing to prescribe it to me.
Really not a good idea to take regularly long-term unless you've exhausted every other option and still have severe anxiety. Benzos like diazepam generally "slow" your brain and affect memory, concentration, organisational skills and much more (similar to alcohol, but not quite as bad). Also will produce dependency and a potentially horrific withdrawal syndrome that can last months, if you take them regularly enough. Useful when you're waiting for other meds to start working though.

Anyone got any suggestions?
If your SSRI isn't working, you could up the dose or switch to a different one. You could also enquire about adding mirtazapine, which is readily available in the UK and can reduce SSRI side-effects whilst simultaneously enhancing its anti-depression/anxiety effects. Might be worth asking for a short-term benzo script in the mean time, and/or pregabalin (again, short-term).

Outside the world of meds, reducing/eliminating your intake of caffeine and alcohol should improve anxiety. It's also worth looking at your nutrition; I recommend picking up a multivitamin (Centrum is good) and some magnesium (magnesium glycinate from the net, or "chelated magnesium" from Holland & Barrett), because of your history with alcohol (vitamins and magnesium are depleted by alcohol) and for general wellbeing. Too much calcium (and/or not enough magnesium) is linked to anxiety and depression, so avoid excessive consumption of dairy products. Also, avoid monosodium glutamate, aspartame, and other sh*te in processed food/drink. The modern Western diet is more often than not deficient in magnesium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_in_biology#Human_health

You may need to supplement magnesium for a while before you notice benefits. Same for vitamins.

There's a supplement called 5-HTP that increases serotonin levels, but you'd have to be very careful not to use too much with an SSRI as too much serotonin = serotonin syndrome and possible death. Could be worth a try if you were very very cautious with dose. SSRIs seem better in the longer-term however; 5-HTP isn't as great as some websites claim. 5-HTP is available in Holland & Barrett.

One method that reduces anxiety every time for me is to brew decaffeinated tea with just water (no milk) and leave it 'til it's nice 'n dark. Drink without milk; sugar is fine. You can use several tea bags for more effect. Green tea contains [amongst other stuff] L-theanine, an amino acid that relaxes the central nervous system. Might be an idea for mild relaxation without the nasty effects alcohol has on body & brain. People do this in prison for a weak high...

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
That sounds like my school life, at least from secondary school. F*** drama, I dunno why I even went to that bulls***; wasn't as if I had a budding career in the acting business waiting to be discovered. Painful, painful memories.

Really not a good idea to take long-term unless you've exhausted every other option and still have severe anxiety. Benzos like diazepam generally "slow" your brain and affect memory, concentration, organisational skills and much more (similar to alcohol, but not quite as bad)..........
Yes, while on benzos or alcohol your thinking is slowed but this maybe a compromise some people are ok with if their anxiety is helped. Whether there are any long term effects on cognition due to benzos or alcohol is unknown.

A recent article says that alcohol protects against dementia..
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ps-beat-dementia/story-e6frf00i-1225766771224

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for taking the time for writing all of that, I've read through it all, intriged to try out your last tip.

My Citalopram works to an extent, my OCD it completely clears, I have no thoughts spinning around in my head.

The Propanolol (so far) hasn't done anything for me at all.

I've never suffered from any physical anxiety symptoms, just mental underlying anxiety, which is the only thing that I need relief from.

I know exactly what I've got to do and how to start it all it's just I can't push myself to actually do the things.

Signing on and looking for work for me is the next step to take, I can do most of this online, but having a convosation using the phone, using public transport & going into certain places in town are what stop me, these are the things right now that I can only do anxiety free by using alcohol. I know that once I get out there doing the stuff I can build up confidence and have the self esteem to keep going with or maybe without medication for anxiety.

Finding something that will just reduce the anxiety to a managable level will allow me to get started and at least give things a try.

My diet right now is pretty good, don't really intake much caffiene, will have a look out for what you've mentioned.

The reason I'm looking for medicinal help is cos alcohol / 'home grown' help is too temporary for what I need, I can't drink all the time obviously so medication looks like a better route to take, something that works 24/7 over the course of however long I take it, (I know benzo's can wear off after time) I'm not too concerned about side effects as long as it just lets me get out a bit more and lets me progress

Diazepam was what my doc mentioned to me, it was his first suggestion after propanolol, are there any actual medicines that are specific to mental anxiety? My doc did say that Propanolol was more for physical symptoms, and kind of got a bit baffled when I said I need something more for the mental side.

I think my anxiety is more subconcious due to the past, I don't really think about my anxiety, its just an automatic no & i cant do this feeling when approached with a situation, and under the influence of alcohol a well maybe I can try...

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Yes, while on benzos or alcohol your thinking is slowed but this maybe a compromise some people are ok with if their anxiety is helped. Whether there are any long term effects on cognition due to benzos or alcohol is unknown.

A recent article says that alcohol protects against dementia..
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ps-beat-dementia/story-e6frf00i-1225766771224
I wasn't implying that benzos damage the brain, just that dependency and constant mental dulling make them better kept as something of a last resort for long-term treatment.

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_in_biology#Human_health

You may need to supplement magnesium for a while before you notice benefits. Same for vitamins.

There's a supplement called 5-HTP that increases serotonin levels, but you'd have to be very careful not to use too much with an SSRI as too much serotonin = serotonin syndrome and possible death. Could be worth a try if you were very very cautious with dose. SSRIs seem better in the longer-term however; 5-HTP isn't as great as some websites claim. 5-HTP is available in Holland & Barrett.
Also, you could try fish oil. There is plenty of evidence that it helps with depression though it takes upto 6 months before benefits are seen. There's some evidence that it helps with anxiety as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm gonna pop out and go pick up some decaffienated / green tea, a few different varieties.

Massivly massivly tempted to have a drink :no :mum :roll

1 - 8 of 8 Posts