Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm sure I have a similar story to some of you here & I am hoping to draw on your experiences.
I am a 29 year old male. Unfortunately my shyness/social anxiety has been getting progressively worse with years. I have never been outgoing but have always managed to fake it somewhat.

A few years ago I started flushing when I got nervous. It has gradually progressed to sweating. It's a thing now where I expect to do it so there may be nothing that sets it off other than I have been carrying on a conversation longer than my brain comfortable allows. I can fake it for short periods & in certain situations but it has really gotten bad. Any little thing triggers it and I work in an office with a fair amount of co-workers & new customers.

It's progressed from strangers to acquaintances to co-workers to finally FAMILY (as amazingly ridiculous as that is). It has really taken a toll on my relationships. I do not have any problems with depression aside from not being able to have the relationships that I would like to have.

It's so bad I think my only option is medication. I am so shy I cannot imagine going to the doctor to start the process. I have looked at "alternative" sources but have no idea what I should try. I know there are side effects to everything - I don't want to hurt my body but I also don't want to live the rest of my life feeling the way I do. I feel pretty silly feeling the way I do.

I would like to take care of the sweating first & foremost & ideally do away with the shyness, if possible. I don't want anything that will make me "detached" or groggy. I know each person reacts differently to each medication but if you have any suggestions I am desperate.

Thanks for your help!

John

·
Banned
1,376 Posts
doctors have heard everything before and yours is a common problem, see a doc in some other town to which you need not return and ask for a beta blocker and a valium type med,write a note for doc in case talking becomes too difficult , stress to doc that you dont have an addictive type personality, take these meds as needed, try out at home first, dizzyness is a common side effect until you get used to the beta blocker

antiperspirant deodorants help

wear clothing that doesnt show sweat stains and can soak up the sweat, made of towelling if possible, try to suck air thru cloth to judge how well it breathes

learn CBT relaxation and stress reduction methods, relax the muscles and breathe deep and slow
alternate therapists , naturapaths seldom help, they cant even agree whether valerian root is helpful as an example

eventually, sweat glands can be removed and surgery to clamp a nerve can be tried if all else fails

avoid hot spicy foods and sauces as these make people sweat more

1 - 2 of 2 Posts