Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 15 year old son is hurting and I am doing everything in my power to advocate for him and become more educated with these disorders myself. He thinks that everyone that looks at him thinks he's weird, crazy, ugly and nothing positive. He asked his teacher if she thought that the kids liked him. She said "Yes" he said "Can I ask them" she said "Sure". He stood in front of his class 10 kids (special education class) and he asked them and one by one they all said nice things about him and said that he is a kool kid. The teacher then said "See XXX does that make you feel better? He said "Not really". She said "Well they said they liked you" and he said that he didn't believe them". I bring this up just to show you that some teacher have good intentions but if she understood this disorder she would understand that no matter what they say to him, he will doubt it and not believe them. She thought making him stand up would make him feel better. IT DOESNT!!!! I spend half my darn day trying to educate these teachers and I am getting educated myself by reading and on the web. My son said in school "I didn't do well on a test and a voice told me to put my head down". They called me and asked me to get him checked for schitz. Are you serious? He meant his THOUGHTS doe doe!! He has no filter and it is hard to express himself. Nonetheless, he has a LCSW that he sees twice a week, a Psychiatrist and a new social skills teacher and he goes to a social strides group once a week. He still is struggling but I have hopes that the social skills teacher is his answer because she has him practice his learned skills in the real world. He also has ADHD and Asperger-like symptoms. Heavily depressed and monotone. I have two other kids, full time job and my hubby is deployed. Please pray for me!!! Please let me know that someone else's child is like this so I don't feel like it is just me!

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
My 15 year old son is hurting and I am doing everything in my power to advocate for him and become more educated with these disorders myself. He thinks that everyone that looks at him thinks he's weird, crazy, ugly and nothing positive. He asked his teacher if she thought that the kids liked him. She said "Yes" he said "Can I ask them" she said "Sure". He stood in front of his class 10 kids (special education class) and he asked them and one by one they all said nice things about him and said that he is a kool kid. The teacher then said "See XXX does that make you feel better? He said "Not really". She said "Well they said they liked you" and he said that he didn't believe them". I bring this up just to show you that some teacher have good intentions but if she understood this disorder she would understand that no matter what they say to him, he will doubt it and not believe them. She thought making him stand up would make him feel better. IT DOESNT!!!! I spend half my darn day trying to educate these teachers and I am getting educated myself by reading and on the web. My son said in school "I didn't do well on a test and a voice told me to put my head down". They called me and asked me to get him checked for schitz. Are you serious? He meant his THOUGHTS doe doe!! He has no filter and it is hard to express himself. Nonetheless, he has a LCSW that he sees twice a week, a Psychiatrist and a new social skills teacher and he goes to a social strides group once a week. He still is struggling but I have hopes that the social skills teacher is his answer because she has him practice his learned skills in the real world. He also has ADHD and Asperger-like symptoms. Heavily depressed and monotone. I have two other kids, full time job and my hubby is deployed. Please pray for me!!! Please let me know that someone else's child is like this so I don't feel like it is just me!
TraiiTraii,

I think it is good that you are trying with him. Having him see a professional can help get to why he is thinking the way he does. Teachers aren't trained in disorders so they likely take the wrong course of action not knowing what to do.

The only way to break through is to find out what is causing his negative thinking - is there something in his environment where he feels inferior, defective, etc. He has to have a core sense of self (as with anyone who has SA - we have to learn to not require external validation).

It's thought training - positive thinking and learning to take what he sees and hears at face value and not try to read into things.

My father (RIP) told me that I had a knack for putting two and two together, and getting EIGHT. Until I was able to see things around and get a four as an outcome, it was rough.....and there were times where I came up with seven, six, and five along the way. :stu

Anyway, you have the right track, it's on him and timing. Have him take a look at the site, too. There are a lot of people with varying disorders and levels.

Welcome to the site! :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey TraiiTraii welcome. :hyper

1 - 3 of 3 Posts