Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Social outcast
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting high school next monday, and like I said in my last post, none of my friends are in any of my classes, not even lunch. I have no idea what to do because my parents aren't allowing me to get my schedule changed, because they want me to "make new friends" They don't know that I have social anxiety, but that's a different story for a different time. Anyways, I don't know how i'm going to make friends, especially on the first day of school. My social anxiety has gotten so severe to the point where i'm afraid of people. I have a feeling i'm going to be eating in the bathroom during lunch, and i'm going to be a loner for the rest of my classes. People said that the kids in high school are different and that they're so much nicer than kids from junior high, but I don't really understand that or believe that..
Can anybody help me please? I'm a nervous wreck..

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I went to high school none of my friends were in my classes either. Luckily I always seemed to have random people talk to me, and I was friends with them all through high school. I hope the same happens to you!
I wish I had better advice but I sadly dont

·
Silent
346 Posts
My senior year of high school starts today. =/
I still have no clue what my schedule is seeing as my high school doesn't seem to care for keeping their students informed, so I have no idea who's in what class or lunch. I doubt I'll have many with any of my 'friends' and I'll probably end up roaming the halls or going to the library during lunch unless I get the courage to talk to someone. This will be the first year I've really had to worry about this other than freshman year, but then I was new to the town and I had an actual reason for eating alone the first few weeks. ._.

·
Registered
406 Posts
People said that the kids in high school are different and that they're so much nicer than kids from junior high ...
Naturally, everyone's experience is different, but this was definitely the case for me as well. Junior high was the worst - it was overrun by frenzied, just-pubescent animals who weren't ready to handle the newfound freedom that came with the junior high environment. By high school, a lot of kids settled down some. I'm not going to lie, it was still a zoo, albeit a much more manageable one.

You'll do fine! Don't put so much pressure on yourself, especially not when it comes to the dreaded 'first day'. Remember, and this is absolutely true: a lot of your classmates will be just as nervous as you are. A lot of people worry about not making any good first impressions, not making any friends, not immediately establishing themselves with others. It's totally normal to feel that way, even without our SA exacerbating those fears. There's nothing I could say to make you turn your nerves off like a light-switch, but just try to keep that in mind. You're not alone.
I have a feeling i'm going to be eating in the bathroom during lunch, and i'm going to be a loner for the rest of my classes.
Try not to think about this just yet. Obsessing over worst-case scenarios, as easy as it is to do so, won't do any good at all. It might be the case that things won't be nearly as hard as you're expecting them to be.

A bit into the year, maybe you could consider joining some sort of extra-curricular activities. I know social anxiety at times tends to make us want to fly under the radar with the least amount of effort, but this is actually a great way to meet potential friends. There are so many different after-school programs and activities to choose from, that there's bound to be something up your alley. And most importantly, it can be so much easier to interact with others when it's guaranteed to be over a common interest.

Good luck.

·
Social outcast
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Naturally, everyone's experience is different, but this was definitely the case for me as well. Junior high was the worst - it was overrun by frenzied, just-pubescent animals who weren't ready to handle the newfound freedom that came with the junior high environment. By high school, a lot of kids settled down some. I'm not going to lie, it was still a zoo, albeit a much more manageable one.

You'll do fine! Don't put so much pressure on yourself, especially not when it comes to the dreaded 'first day'. Remember, and this is absolutely true: a lot of your classmates will be just as nervous as you are. A lot of people worry about not making any good first impressions, not making any friends, not immediately establishing themselves with others. It's totally normal to feel that way, even without our SA exacerbating those fears. There's nothing I could say to make you turn your nerves off like a light-switch, but just try to keep that in mind. You're not alone.

Try not to think about this just yet. Obsessing over worst-case scenarios, as easy as it is to do so, won't do any good at all. It might be the case that things won't be nearly as hard as you're expecting them to be.

A bit into the year, maybe you could consider joining some sort of extra-curricular activities. I know social anxiety at times tends to make us want to fly under the radar with the least amount of effort, but this is actually a great way to meet potential friends. There are so many different after-school programs and activities to choose from, that there's bound to be something up your alley. And most importantly, it can be so much easier to interact with others when it's guaranteed to be over a common interest.

Good luck.
Thanks so much for your help(and thanks to everyone else for their help too) you made it sound like its easy to join a club, especially since everyone would be sharing a common interest. Thanks again, now i'm going to consider joining one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts