Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If dogs can have social anxiety disorder, then my dog definitely has it, like myself :p

When he's around other dogs he acts different than he would if he were home. He gets the shakes, wines, froths at the mouth, and tries to avoid the other dogs by all means necessary. Found this pretty strange because every dog I've ever seen is as social as can be, but not mine lol.

So, to get over this I was thinking maybe just taking him to the dog park from time to time, and while he gets comfortable with being around other dogs, I will too get more comfortable chatting with other dog owners. Figured it's worht a shot..

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am thinking of taking my "shy" dog to the dog park too, and seeing if there are people to meet as well! I think it's a good idea because most people that take their dogs to parks, I find, are pretty friendly! And you can always start talking about someones dog, always a great conversation starter! People love it when their dogs get complimented :) I am also thinking of joining a dog obedience class too, if I find he courage to go haha

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dog Anxiety

Hi, I read your post and wanted to offer you a bit of advice if you'd take it! We have a large customer following that have many different dogs with different anxiety issues (a lot in similar situations to you). We wanted to invite you to our facebook page so that you can see what some other dog lovers have to say about their dog's anxiety issues as well as see some things that they have used to help! If you're interested please check it out and join in the conversation! http://www.facebook.com/Thundershirt?sk=wall&filter=1&notif_t=wall

Hope that helps:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes i think chats about dogs are very light and fun, and if people like dogs its easy to talk to them about it. Actually i got friends with one of my best friends because we both liked dogs and we talked a lot about funny things about her dog and mine.

When i take my dog for a walk most of the time people come to me asking if they can pet him so its an opportunity to talk to new people.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts