Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Protected and hidden girl
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first off hello everybody and I am so glad I found this site. Let's get right to it. While I am around people I usually don't talk at all by when I do it is extremely quiet and my voice cracks a lot. I am always kind of on the outside of a group and pretty much safely hidden from anybody. A lot of times people forget that I am even with them after a while. Sometimes I just suddenly get really really hot from the inside of my body, and I am just burning up everywhere. I can't make eye contact unless I really force myself to, and when I am sitting down in class I am constantly adjusting myself from nerves. I always think that people are staring at me. I can NEVER approach a stranger, and I never call anybody on the phone unless I really have to. When I call somebody on the phone and they don't answer, I don't leave a voice message most of the time. When I do talk on the phone or leave a message, I forget what I am going to say and then I kind of stutter and blab on about nothing. Sometimes I text. When I have a conversation with somebody, I mostly zone out and am confused with what is going on all the time. I always feel unwanted when with a group, and here is an example of how it was proven for me.
I was at a church activity, where all of the youth slept overnight in some vacant college dorms. We were all assigned a group to room with, and I was put with three other girls who were all best friends, so I already felt left out. That night we were all in the same room, and they completely humiliated and scarred me. The "leader" whom I didn't know very well, told me all these lies that I believed at the time. They made up people and basically called me a fool for not knowing who they are. The leader said that when I first moved in the only reason she was my "friend" was because one of the church leaders paid her 20 bucks to be. I went asleep right away that night so I wouldn't be a bother to them. But I was actually pretending to sleep, just to hear if they would say anything about me. They didn't, but in the middle of the night I coughed and scared the living heck out of the leader. It was pretty funny silently laughing while they all thought I was asleep.
Anyways, post some of your SA symptoms, and please no hating. This is supposed to be a support group.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The phone thing is terrible. Once I finally get myself to answer it, I hang up. I have no problem approaching a stranger... But once I'm in a room with a lot of people in it I start to shake, and my stomach hurts a ton...

·
Registered
34 Posts
when I'm around other people I don't talk unless someone talks to me then I usually end up answering in short sentences the less I say the better I don't really mind talking on the phone but in general I have a hard time starting conversations or to keep them going and I'm a really private person nobody really knows anything about me

·
AwkLee
23 Posts
Wow,sounds like me! Excluding a little from the end. I thought I was the only one who felt like what you described in the beginning and middle part. Good to know I'm not the only one!

·
Villain in glasses
3,511 Posts
Well first off hello everybody and I am so glad I found this site. Let's get right to it. While I am around people I usually don't talk at all by when I do it is extremely quiet and my voice cracks a lot. I am always kind of on the outside of a group and pretty much safely hidden from anybody. A lot of times people forget that I am even with them after a while. Sometimes I just suddenly get really really hot from the inside of my body, and I am just burning up everywhere. I can't make eye contact unless I really force myself to, and when I am sitting down in class I am constantly adjusting myself from nerves. I always think that people are staring at me. I can NEVER approach a stranger, and I never call anybody on the phone unless I really have to. When I call somebody on the phone and they don't answer, I don't leave a voice message most of the time. When I do talk on the phone or leave a message, I forget what I am going to say and then I kind of stutter and blab on about nothing. Sometimes I text. When I have a conversation with somebody, I mostly zone out and am confused with what is going on all the time. I always feel unwanted when with a group, and here is an example of how it was proven for me.
I was at a church activity, where all of the youth slept overnight in some vacant college dorms. We were all assigned a group to room with, and I was put with three other girls who were all best friends, so I already felt left out. That night we were all in the same room, and they completely humiliated and scarred me. The "leader" whom I didn't know very well, told me all these lies that I believed at the time. They made up people and basically called me a fool for not knowing who they are. The leader said that when I first moved in the only reason she was my "friend" was because one of the church leaders paid her 20 bucks to be. I went asleep right away that night so I wouldn't be a bother to them. But I was actually pretending to sleep, just to hear if they would say anything about me. They didn't, but in the middle of the night I coughed and scared the living heck out of the leader. It was pretty funny silently laughing while they all thought I was asleep.
Anyways, post some of your SA symptoms, and please no hating. This is supposed to be a support group.
Maybe you're an aspie like me. My symptoms are very similar to your's but I have horrible social skill problems, occasionally I'm seen as unintentionally rude, aloof. I have very esoteric interests; which only one person I know is able to converse with me about; which prevents me from conversing about things that don't interest me. If you need to talk to someone just message me.

·
Greenmail
4,205 Posts
A) When you stutter are you thinking too much? Or trying to figure out what to say? Or daydreaming. This was the cause for me. Might help you to consider forcing yourself to not do these things while in a conversation.

Or it may be solely because of anxiety. I would try to figure out what the cause is.

B) You are describing hot flashes. I get them too.

·
Protected and hidden girl
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@galacticsenator
Now that you mention it, I might be an aspie! I have read that most people have another mental illness along with SA. I guess I will have to find out.

@Invisiblehandicap
When I stutter I am usually thinking too much about different things I am going to say. So it is kind of both of those. I start to say one thing, then I start to say something different, until I finally get my point across.

·
Banned
16,644 Posts
I've become a master at hiding my SA. I used to shake, blush, stutter, and sweat. Now when I feel anxious, I just appear very serious and kinda angry looking. My speech will also sound forced, almost like I am desperately trying to think of something to say.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts