Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Black Sheep
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just started high school last week and i'm not really scared around people anymore. i used to be real bad though. for years i just didnt talk to anyone. now, i want to talk to people/make friends/etc.. but i just don't know how. my years of isolation must have left me behind socially because i just can't carry on a conversation well, or start one. this is the aftermath and now i don't know how to do the things everyone else does without thinking about it. can anyone help me with this?

·
Hmm.
459 Posts
I'm in the same situation... I think it's easier if you're a freshman though, since everyone is kind of reinventing themselves and trying to make new friends. I think maybe just starting off with whoever you happen to sit next to in some of your classes, introducing yourself, maybe talking about your interests? I'm not quite sure - I wish I was good at this stuff haha.

·
Registered
595 Posts
ever since i found this site, i feel like my sa has gone down alot, but not as much as i want it to. I think its becuse i know that im not alone anymore, theres people that are just like me and that makes me feel so relived. im still stuck in my old ways though. I can actually say either yes or no, or answer someones question instead of just useing my head to do it.

I call that progress lol.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Talk to people about your interests. You don't have to reinvent yourself--just put yourself in a position where you can meet and talk to people who like the same things that you do. Certain elective classes, joining certain clubs/sports/lunch tables.

Also, talk to people about easy stuff at first, like classes and annoying teachers and homework. This will give you an "in," and it make you more approachable. And smile too! People gravitate toward others who smile, are positive, and who care about things (whether that be sports or a certain subject or music). It shows people that you are fun to be with and interesting. Which I'm sure that you are!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.