Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been seeing a psychiatrist for a few weeks now--we've only met twice, but she put me on zoloft about a month ago. i was supposed to see a therapist but for some reason (something to do with our insurance, i think) i haven't been. my psychiatrist told me i should start giving spontaneous presentations and exposing myself to scary situations, now that my medication should be kicking in. i have no idea what i should do.

i'm taking music appreciation this semester (you have to learn a new instrument) and i think that will involve playing in front of people. what are some other ideas for ways to test myself?

·
Registered
834 Posts
do things out of your comfort zone because you want to do them not because you think other people would like you too.

playing music in front of other people is a great start

at the same time don't think that you are only doing this because of the medication kicking in. alot of it is your own will too

·
Registered
65 Posts
Make a youtube video, disable comments? :p

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please see a therapist that you doc suggested.

Now that you're on meds, you can test your limits and see that your old limits on meds have changed. Your therapist will help you determine what limits to test (if he/she is a good therapist). Once you test your limits and methodically see you can do things you may not

I wish wish wish I did this years ago.
i thought she was supposed to recommend a therapist, but she didn't, so idk if i'm even supposed to be seeing one or not.

·
alien monk
8,615 Posts
^ just thought I'd say I agree with the therapist option if it is available to you, or CBT self help books if it is not.

I'd really recommend at least reading about CBT and how exposure works, as often people on here complain that exposure didn't work for them without understanding the process at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts