Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just joined this forum - don't really know why!

Anyway Im currently 17 and living in the U.K. My problems started in Y10 in school when i was 15. I was a bit of a joker at school and happy with my friends etc and fairly popular(not being cocky) but i was always self consious about my ears as they stick out. Anyway one day i hsd my hair cut and it was short and made my ears stick out. I hated it and people called me dumbo etc. They thought i wasnt bothered as we always had banter together and always laughed it off. Anyway so i didnt go into school the next day as i felt terrible and it turned into a habit. Stopped going and stopped going. I saw my mates from school outside of school during this time and i said id be back in soon.

Anyway i never went back in and i missed the last year and half of school. It wad really tough for me. Anyway I sat my maths, english and science exams and only got 1 gcse. These were done from home. Anyway at the age of 16 i started college different to my school and i wad on a low level course and i knew i was much better than this. Now im in my second year at college ive stopped playing football which has always been my passion and i have no contact with my friends from school. I always look at photos on fbook and wish i had stayed in contact. Anyway now i have only a few friends that i rarely see and im still self consious. I let my hair grow out. Girls sometimes shout "your fit" to me at college but i dont know what to say and im really shy with strangers. I know it sounds a bit bad to be worrying about but i hate my hair and want it short but am scared bevause of my ears. I dont know if ive made any sense but there you go thats my problems! Was just wondering if anyonehad advice for me. One last thing i never leave the house apart from college and i joke around with my family like nothings wrong and they have no idea i feel this way

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Well, if you are able to joke around with your family, you must be pretty close with them. I guess, if you want them to understand that you feel this way you should tell them how you feel. However, it might change how they perceive you, but sometimes you have to just take a risk.

I don't fully understand how you didn't attend school for a long time and you were kind of able to get away with it. Don't they call home when you don't go to school? That just makes me curious and in disbelief somewhat. Also when you don't attend school for 30 days and more, don't you have to repeat the grade? Even thought, I don't live in the U.K. and things are probably different, I'm kind of confused by it.

Anyways, the reason why your friends thought it was okay to call you dumbo was because you were kind of a joker at school and you laughed it off. So it was probably meant as a teasing joking way, rather than offensive way.

Honesty, I think when anyone cuts their hair short, their ears stick out more. So I hope you can somehow feel less worse about it and if you do want to cut your hair, then you should do it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts