Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a college bound 18 year old male. I have no friends who are girls, never have.

I have never had a girlfriend.

I am miserable now. Everyday I mope around until I hang out with friends or go biking.

I was addicted to computer and video games all my life until now. They were all I ever thought about and I used them as an escape.

I'm through with that now though.

I feel empty and lonely. I want to talk to girls but I am so afraid of rejection I feel paralyzed around them. This is not to say I don't have some girl acquaintances. I do. My main problem really is I can't initiate contact with girls, ESPECIALLY girls I do not know.

I feel I am ugly which really cuts into my self-esteem. Adults outside of my family often say I am nice looking/handsome. I asked my friends if they thought I was unattractive and they said "not at all."

I believe my self-image stems from a time in 7th grade when two girls I was talking to were talking about how Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt were so "hot." I then asked them if I was ugly. There was a long pause. Then one of them said, "I'm not answering that question" and the other said, "You aren't ugly, you're just not like Johnny Depp."

I had other experiences in 7th grade regarding my appearance that plague me. I was short then, under 5 foot. Now I'm 6'1 and I look a lot different.

But...I still feel girls will see me as a freak if I talk to them and shrug me off. Life sucks...

·
Banned
728 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
i was thinking about that two girls' reply, which in my eyes ,means they like you,and they don't want to show any insult or unrespect and they chose a polite way to reply you.However,maybe you have diffrerent ideas. And that is the point: that is the symton as well as the "Defend". we just need those self-attack(for exp:" i am ugly")to defend some much more painful feelings deep in our heart,which we can hardly survive with them...we just make sensible choices,unless we meet some one who can truly help us.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I can understand what you say, I feel ugly as well.
Let's just say I've never been called handsome.
The way I see it is, there are men out their with horrible severe deformity's and compared to such cases we are fortunate by comparison.
Also, men are attracted to a womens visage mainly , but remember that women take more things into account such as confidence, intelligence, social status, money, "charm", etc and most of these things can be improved at least.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts