Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Fallen angel
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Joe and I am 21. So I planned to take this year off and to start focusing on myself, in other words listening to the audio series "Overcoming Social Anxiety, Step By Step", which is truely amazing, and just taking medication at the same time, as well as reading self help books. I do work full time so it's not like I don't get out, I've been working there almost 3 years now, and it does involve alot of social interaction and I'm fine with it. I am in the perfect position to go with this plan since my parents are fine with it and I am under no pressure with them, and they've seen proof that I am carrying out this plan.

But when you get co-workers trying to inspire you to change the plans you've made, like... "get your grade 12 now so you can get out of retail" or "apply at that place that so many work at bla bla bla".

I do feel somewhat recovered to a small percentage, the way I look at the world has changed to a certain extent, but sometimes I continue thinking that I will carry out the original plan and then I stop to think for a second.. "what if I should go back and get my grade 12 done now and not a year from now?". So now is where I need some opinions, since I cannot ask just any friend, afterall my "plan" is not something I've discussed with anyone except my parents.

I've thought about getting a second job to get more social interaction (experience) and saving more money to go along with the therapy, I've thought alot about different scenarios, but so far from the beginning of September till present, I've stuck with this plan.

Success only builds upon success, never upon failure, and success is what brings me here and to this point from the second I made the decision. So all I need is ideas, any are appreciated, thanks in advance!.

·
Registered
482 Posts
When you say go back and get your grade 12 do you mean your high school diploma or GED? If so, if your comfortable with your job and don't want or need to change jobs soon then I would say work on your SA now then go back and get your GED. I think it would be easier to get a better job if your over your social anxiety even without a GED, rather than the other way around. It seems that companies hire people based more on personality and experience then education, but education is still important.

·
Fallen angel
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say go back and get your grade 12 do you mean your high school diploma or GED? If so, if your comfortable with your job and don't want or need to change jobs soon then I would say work on your SA now then go back and get your GED. I think it would be easier to get a better job if your over your social anxiety even without a GED, rather than the other way around. It seems that companies hire people based more on personality and experience then education, but education is still important.
I basically mean my GED or here in canada we call it something else, like a Dogwood or something. I'm glad I asked this on here, and I have noticed already the payoff for doing the therapy. I went on vacation on a houseboat trip with some family members and even without the therapy my anxiety was very relieved in situations where we were at either a restaurant or some public area, and going further through this whole year with therapy is only for the better. Thanks for your input.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
stick with your present plan, the path you are on now. in the end, it doesn't really matter which "plan" you are on , it matters more that you choose one and see it through to its conclusion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts