Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why take loads of medication and let drugs into your body, if you're still feeling the effects of SA? Surely if you're still coming on this forum, then you have SA issues still, yet you're on meds that aren't doing much.

Can't you just get yourself off all the meds, and try and do it with your own will power and strength. Maybe that would give you a bigger boost, rather than feeling dependant on medication?

Maybe i'm totally wrong? Tell me...

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
No medication is perfect. There are some people on here that feel completely debilitated by the symptoms of their SA, such as panic attacks. Some people get them everytime they leave their comfort zone, and medication could keep it from happening so often, but they won't change the way you think.

The medication I'm on is no cure, but it certainly enables me to breathe comfortably around people, which is a big help for me to get out there and work on my other problems.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I don't take medication, I'd rather rely on myself. I'm going to the doctor's to get a referral for a diagnosis soon, so I'm sure they'll try to push medication on me but I'll refuse it.

I took citalopram for about two weeks, when I had anxiety and my doctor and my ex talked me into taking it, then I got pregnant and stopped. Never felt the need to try it again.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Well I have improved over the last year. I just have to force myself to do things that scare me, and the more I do them then the easier it gets. Last summer, I wouldn't take the bus into town, I'd walk an hour and a half instead. Now, I get the bus at least twice a week and it doesn't bother me any more because I've gotten used to it. I'm also going on an SA meet tomorrow, I'm nervous, but I think it'll be a good thing to do and it'll push me out of my comfort zone. I have to force myself into situations that scare me, and then deal with those situations, instead of just avoiding them. Most of the time, it's always a lot better than I was imagining it was going to be.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Your not wrong at all. Most of my life I didn't know SA was a diagnosed medical disability. I thought I was just socially retarded, like a lot of people are. I think everyone has problems. Some just deal with it different ways; some just give up, some want a pill to make all go away. I've pull myself out of the rough times on will power, strength, determination, and doing the best I can, with what I have. I just cope with it. Depression can really be a drag, but you gotta pull yourself up eventually...or else you don't. Life has many sad times.

About a decade ago, I tried Prozac, Wellbutrin, Paxil and another anti-depressant that I can't remember. They really messed me up. I slept all the time, started hallucinating, black-out moments, stuffed bills away, and quit having a care in the world. I will never try those pills ever again. Most of my life I have avoided pills, even birth control cause that really messed me up trying that too...Which explains why I have 4 children. Through all of their births, I refused even an aspirin...till afterwards I cried for some.

If you think about it, life hundreds and thousands of years ago must have been way, way more difficult and traumatizing than today's lifestyles are like, even in today's poorest of places. Pills seem to be distributed like candy and pharmacies and the government make a great deal of money and power off of them. Just my opinion.

I don't think the human body is made to handle these chemicals the pharmacies are feeding to us. I know in my body the side affects are worse than than the problem itself. That's just my experience.

I always tell myself "What doesn't kill you, will just make you stronger", and its true, for me.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
Why take loads of medication and let drugs into your body, if you're still feeling the effects of SA? Surely if you're still coming on this forum, then you have SA issues still, yet you're on meds that aren't doing much.

Can't you just get yourself off all the meds, and try and do it with your own will power and strength. Maybe that would give you a bigger boost, rather than feeling dependant on medication?

Mmm seems someone has never taken Addy before... Meds have helped my SA soooo much! Since meds, I have went from having maybe 3 conversations in my ENTIRE life with girls to being in my 7th relationship with a woman, having had countless dates, many friends, being able to socialize with strangers and gaining MUCH better social skills for life. Yes, I still get anxiety with strangers, but I don't avoid anymore, and I have the ability to socialize for once! If I am getting too panicky then I just take some Klonopin and chill the f out ^_^

·
Registered
727 Posts
its not pointless.

for example, clonazepam works wonders for me and i don't even get sedated.
when i stopped taking it i was less anxious weeks after and i improved simply because i did things i usually wouldnt do.

theres other options such as MDMA which has been used in therapy before. obviously not anymore. that DOES work to pretty much 'cure' people with mental issues like anxiety. it more than halved my anxiety. this was in 2010 then unfortunate things happened and i got depressed and then the anxiety came back too.

anti depressants are a dodgy area, for some people it is a miracle and most its just okay...and others i can be horrifying which is what happend to me.

on prozac it was good for a few weeks, however feeling no emotions except for the odd bout of sadness which made me break down and cry was no fun. on top of that i cut myself. something i would never ever, ever do.

i always thought cutting was for crazy people but now i understand.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Meds are most definitly not pointless.

They have made it easier to live daily life, without them I would not be a successful thriving adult, but instead a panic ridden agoraphobic.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I mostly agree
Recently i stopped taking all medications after about 20 months of trying to find one that helped....none really did. Parnate game me two days of relief and i had a anxiety reduced experience with Anafranil for a day but i was never able to get these feelings back. It may seem strange to remember it in a bit of detail like that but my thinking is always very inwards to myself so i notice crap like that.
I think a few people on here are hoping for some form of an answer to SP in a pill and i was a bit like that so i feel relief now that i have stopped chasing my tail trying to find the " magic combo "

"Can't you just get yourself off all the meds, and try and do it with your own will power and strength"
Yes people can but some find medication to aid the process of getting better even if its a placebo thing so why not ?
Also the will power and strength line is not far off someone saying " just stop thinking like that "

·
Registered
580 Posts
Meds are most definitly not pointless.

They have made it easier to live daily life, without them I would not be a successful thriving adult, but instead a panic ridden agoraphobic.
Is Baclofen helping Brown342?

Meedo

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used to deal with SA a lot . I am a lot better. Now only a few select people cause me issues. I did find a natural product that helped me, and if I am in a situation were I know I am going to see these people. I just take a Relaquil makes a world of difference. I don't take it daily , and it is not prescription. I am on here because I want to help people. God put people in my life that helped me and now I want to pass it forward.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Surely if you're still coming on this forum, then you have SA issues still
Actually I'm just bored. SA ceased to be much of an issue years ago. I mostly eliminated it in about 2 years after finally deciding what I wanted. What gave me the ability to start doing those things was xanax which I quite using within a year.

·
Grind
2,433 Posts
Totally wrong.

My story. Panic attacks and anxiety ruined everything. I did everything. CBT, exposure therapy, exercise, diet, school, no meds. I wanted to murder myself because of my ever going panic attacks. Even being on the basketball team, with all this therapy and sh*t, all this knowledge, wasn't sh*t. Steady panic attacks. Always sweating. I did everything by the book, except I wasn't on meds.

I would defenatly say, go for it with out meds and see how it works. I tried, I really did. I even did a Theatre class, and my Lit class was a circle table type class. I was sweatin balls all day, face red all day, heart beatin, hands shakin. The CBT, exposure, exercise, it jus wasn't working.

Physc Ward 3 times on suicidle sh*t. Medicine saved my life. So if you are asking me, totally wrong 100%.

And why I'm still on the site .. *shrugs* .. you aint gonna see me complain about my anxiety because I really don't deal with too much of it. There is a lot of love in my life. This mental disorder will never leave. You can self medicate or get legit medicine. Self medication also didn't work for me.

But you bring up great points. From what I see, I love the way you think. Great post.

Love ...

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Maybe i'm totally wrong?
Correct.

Life sucks and plenty of people require mind-altering substances to merely get by. This is hardly anything new, having been going on for all of human history.

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
Correct.

Life sucks and plenty of people require mind-altering substances to merely get by. This is hardly anything new, having been going on for all of human history.
So true! Sad to say but you just summed it up succinctly in one paragraph. No, not everyone requires meds to get by and enjoy life. And for others it's a necessary lifeline to a semi-"normal" state of mind and living without going insane or dying.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is Baclofen helping Brown342?

Meedo
Yes meedo,

Baclofen has been amazing for me, 60 mg. a day and it has been the most effective treatment so far.

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
It depends, in some individuals the cause of social anxiety is related to their own neurochemistry, meds can change this wich doesnt mean that medication is the full solution, in most cases therapy or social exposure is needed next to medication as individuals need to learn social skills and other things wich they missed over the years.

·
Registered
769 Posts

I take Xanax a few times a month for general anxiety (mostly any time I have to see my dad). I deal with my SA on my own. Though sometimes I deal with it by avoiding the situation.

I was on SSRIs because my main issue is depression. But I did stop the ADs about a year ago because I hated the sexual side effect. I'm very torn which is worse: depression or no orgasm.

·
Registered
106 Posts
In my personal opinion and experience, SSRI's are not beneficial whatsoever for SA. I think the combination of a beta-blocker and benzos (prn) are the best medication for anxiety.

If I didn't have beta-blockers I would not have been able to stay in school and would have avoided many situations. Of course I wish I could be medication free, but if I didn't have it I would be miserable. I tried doing it the natural way, without meds, exposure therapy and all that. I even went to a wilderness program in CO and stayed in the damn forest for 2 months straight, and even there I would have panic attacks. I exercise, eat right, and study my *** off. I live a normal life and appear as a confident individual, all because of my meds.

If you can stay away from medication and still feel as though you can live your life to its full extent, I wish you the best. But for people like me, medication has changed our lives like others cannot comprehend.

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
Stimulants are nice. That said, most of the people who benefit from them also have ADHD as an underlying cause, so they're not really a universal treatment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts