Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not quit the internet completely, but I significantly reduced what I do on it. I quit using my websites and forums regularly about a year ago. I also gave up video games and art.

I stopped acting as though my real life is on the computer. I realized that I was afraid of my real life because it sucks so much, but once I faced my feelings of inferiority and accepted the ways that I really am not as good as others, the pain does eventually go away and you feel stronger and less anxious. Denial will get you no where.

I now have 16 and soon possible 18 friends on Facebook, the highest I have ever had. These past three semesters in college have been B's and I feel so much better. I am now dressing better and caring more about clothes and school now, and at school I joined a club halfway through the semester and went on a field trip and attended a potluck thing (and brought a homemade dish) and I am now tagged in three pictures on Facebook. For me it's a huge deal because I never go out and do anything.

Instead of games and forums I have been reading books and focusing on my real life, and I have realized that real life really is not as hard as I made it out to be years ago. Years ago I was using forums as a means of escapism and this caused me to neglect real life further, but once I started focusing only on real life my life has gotten better and I no longer NEED video games and forums and the internet.

·
人間か悪魔か&#
54 Posts
Congratulations! It sounds like you've worked out what was causing problems in your life and cut them out :D It's so easy to get sucked into virtual worlds and forget that your real life is on the outside. Taking charge is certainly better than wallowing in your own misery, maybe it feels hard for you at first but you feel better when you start making real progress. Did you stop all at once or gradually in little steps?

I hope it keeps getting better and better for you! Thinking about what you really want in life and how to do it, there's no reason you shouldn't actually get there. I've stopped playing video games as well, but too scared to take the final plunge haha. Escaping does feel better in the short term, than accepting how miserable your life is :p But I know my problems won't go away until I fix them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes. Internet is a big waste of time even for people without SA. Good job. The trick is to stay away and not get lured back in.

Something that I always remind myself is that we aren't truly happy when we just look for instant gratification and that true happiness comes from fulfillment.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I plan on quitting too. Only problem is that I am stuck watching my family use media and I therefore cannot get away from it. Maybe I should move out.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I agree with you completely. I spend way to much time on the internet. I'm on forums, watching videos on youtube and so on. I have been trying to cut back my time on the internet since I tend to spend all of my free time on it. But I do agree that pulling yourself off the internet can be a good thing. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Most of us really needs to do this too:
"I stopped acting as though my real life is on the computer.".

Yes really.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Been experiencing those changes as well. Life feels more real with under three hours of media(television, computers, gaming) a day, and you get things done. But some people on this site tend to turn defensive whenever their gaming/surfing is mentioned. They have to find out for themselves

·
Moving Towards Destiny
1,835 Posts
That is great !
Good for you !

I have thought about how the internet is very addicting and a substitute for "real" life and you can use it as an escape. Instead of being with real people you seek company and life's experiences through the fantasy of your computer screen.

Thanks for posting that and I have been thinking about your post on and off all day.

:yes

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
I actually remember you and your posts from a few years back, and how it seemed like you were struggling with things quite a bit. At least it sounds like you're moving in the right direction. This is good to hear.

Also, don't let any setbacks of whatever magnitude push you back in the other direction. We'll be here if you need to reach out here again, if you do so.

Of course!

·
No longer good at posting
1,233 Posts
Same experience for me. I save the computer for later, when I'm physically exhausted and usually done for the day. When I'm mentally exhausted, I do something physical. That seems to work out so far. It feels so unhealthy to jump out of bed and go straight for fb/twitter or whatever.

·
Hermit
1,187 Posts
I am addicted to Internet and I can't stop it. Furthermore, if I wasn't, I work at Fiverr and I need to spend lots of hours on the internet to deliver my work to my buyers.

·
like the wind...
19 Posts
Congrats on your improvement, what you have accomplished is impressive and makes you a role model for a lot of people with SA, and I mean it.

So... yeah... makes me think that joining this forum might not have been such a great idea for me after all since it's just gonna be a means of escapism from my real life...

On the other hand, I am a LOT less depressed since I have quit Facebook last year :)

Keep up the positive attitude, and keep inspiring others :)

·
Super Moderator
34,614 Posts
If I didn't want to spend my time on the internet, I wouldn't do it. But then I'd have nothing to do but just lay in bed and watch TV. Which is precisely what I did for the first 20 some odd years.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I've been addicted to the internet since I was a preteen. You give me hope that I can stop.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That's great. Wish I could do the same but I feel like my life is pretty much defined by my time on the internet and video games, if I gave up I wouldn't know how to fill the time. I might try phasing it out of the evenings or something though, you've inspired me.:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts