Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had social anxiety for as long as I can remember.

I am currently a first year university student and though commencing the second semester, I still have not adjusted and have few acquaintances. Most of my small circle of friends went to a different university and I have not seen them for over a month.

I don't talk to anyone except one friend with whom I share a subject, though being a couple of years younger than me, he is still a little immature and hard to deal with at times.

Hopefully, this forum will help. Which is why I have joined. I'm 17, by the way.

Oh yeah - hello, nice to meet you all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there, nice to meet you.

My original post, now that I re-read it, seems kinda overly formal and depressing. So, let me try that again.

I'm looking forward to meeting people whose minds work in the same way mine does, it's comforting to know that there are other people and I would very much like to get over my social anxiety - the sooner the better - so I can get on to finding this thing called a life :D.

I'm a bit of a geek, though I procrastinate too much and I enjoy listening to music and playing video games - you know, generic hobbies.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey xerwb2 welcome. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
17 and in college? Nice. Welcome!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi xerwb2, welcome on board!
your post reminded me of when i first went to college - it took me a while to find a group of friends, but find them i did (and i'm still friends with one of them over 20 years later!!) - i guess what i'm trying to say is sometimes we can force things to happen and get stressed out when they don't happen quickly enough - i spent many years trying hard to be friends with the 'cool' guys, but i didn't really click with them - eventually i was drawn to people i did click with and i realised that i was just being myself around them, not trying to be someone i wasn't and that's what made the difference - over time i became more comfortable with who i am and made some good friends as a result of that
hope that helps

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm looking forward to meeting people whose minds work in the same way mine does, it's comforting to know that there are other people and I would very much like to get over my social anxiety
This is exactly how I felt when I first came to this forum a few months ago! It really is a comfort to know that I'm not the only one who thinks and feels this way.

My college experience was similar to yours. Most of my core group of friends went to another University, and I found it difficult to make new friends at first. Eventually I became friends with a guy who let me be a part of his whole group of friends, and that made me feel so much less isolated. I will never forget him for just that reason.

Later, when I got into classes more specific to my degree, I started friendships with a whole new group of people who shared my interests and one of those friends is now my husband.

College was really scary and lonely for me at the beginning, but things changed for me quickly and I hope they do for you, too.

Welcome to the forum, I certainly hope it helps you feel a sense of community.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Xerwb2! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts