Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One week ago I received an infraction that NEVER expires when I posted an editorial that I got published. As usual, I published a link to every editorial that I manage to get published. This one was published in the Capital Times (in Madison WI) which has published dozens of my editorials.

The reason given for this infraction was: "I find this post objectionable and intolerant towards gays."

The editorial I wrote was regarding the discriminatory nature of using a bible in courts of law to swear in people. Atheists can't swear on a bible -- without lying -- so the honest atheist who says they cannot swear upon that book is outed as an atheist and their testimony may be given less credibility since polls show atheists to be the least trusted minority group. My editorial in no way attacked gays. I merely drew a parallel, saying that it would be equally offensive & inappropriate to ask about sexual orientation to bias a jury. I can't figure out how that can be deemed intolerant, when I used it as an example of how wrong it is to bias a jury.

It's also hard to imagine how such an "intolerant" editorial managed to get published in the Capital Times, a paper that is about as liberal as it gets in Madison, a city that is about as liberal as it gets.

Disagreeing with this infraction, I immediately PMed both the mod who issued the infraction plus Drew. I was later informed by another mod that Drew had been out of town on business, so a reply from him may be delayed.

Now a full week after receiving this infraction I have received no reply from either the mod who issued it nor Drew. I don't know if either have even read my PM as I also got no "read receipt."

I've been on this board for 7 years and am responsible for more than 23,000 posts, yet no response. I feel totally disrespected and ignored.

Karl

·
Banned
642 Posts
WoW! I was shocked when I read this. What are the mods trying to do?.....drive people away from SAS? Moderation is a tough job, BUT it should be an electable position with term limits. The censorship of this board is unbecoming with trying to not offend anyone. Given you were issued an infraction that NEVER expires, it's easy to figure out who issued it.

Amocholes. You really need to lighten up dude and quit pressing your own agenda on the board. You run this place like Saddam Hussein smothering everyone who makes a statement you may not agree with. QUIT CENSORING US!

I've stated this before, but mods need to be issued infractions for "intolerance" as well. This is yet another example of this mod's intolerance.

DREW: I really hope you get the moderation situation under control, there just has been a recent round with the moderators against the "womens group". I like SAS, everyone here LOVES SAS. But if we keep up at this rate you will showing people the back door before they walk into the front door. I already find myself coming to SAS less and less. However, some may find that a wonderful thing:)

·
Space Cadet
2,458 Posts
inb4 lock, as usual :-/

And btw, what effect does it have to get an infraction that never expires? Does that mean that it always counts toward the three-infractions-a-month-and-you're-banned? If you get three non-expiring infractions, does that get you permabanned?

·
Registered
928 Posts
:eek: Seriously mods, wake up to yourselves!

·
Banned
642 Posts
^Must have been because I can't find it either. I am trying to find the newspapers website so I could read the article for myself. Google is awesome at times and a PIA during other times :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was the thread removed too? I don't see it anywhere.
Yes, it was removed. I have privately sent you a link so that you may read the editorial and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
The infraction lasts for 30 days. That has been the rule since infractions started guys. That rules goes for everybody. Now, I don't know what the infraction was about, nor the post - I have been too busy with work-related stuff.

YES - Drew was out for a spell for a legitimate reason. Sometimes, he cannot get to reply to every message he gets. He has been really busy lately and hasn't been able to spend much time on the site. As far as I know, Drew just got back yesterday and is still trying to catch up. I can ask him to look at your request if you want me to.

Otherwise, this is yet another thread where people are chiming in with off the wall stuff, joining the bandwagon. Ultrashy has a point, but some of the above posts are attacking moderation in general and has nothing to do with his issue - not fair. We go through a lot of stuff that you guys never see - just read the Diva Cup thread for an example of what I went through last year.

Like clockwork, this stuff comes up every 12 to 15 months.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
i think this and the other recent issues members have had show that something does need to be changed about the moderating here. i wouldn't go as far as saying that how SAS is run should be changed, but there have obviously been some decisions made that are highly questionable in that they go astray from the guidelines, and in some cases to the extreme where they have become offensive - and i even see them as breaking the own rules enforced here.

if so many members have expressed how unhappy they are with the moderating job at SAS, then i would hope that all the mods and Drew actually begin to take it into serious consideration and perhaps come together and make changes accordingly.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As far as I know, Drew just got back yesterday and is still trying to catch up. I can ask him to look at your request if you want me to.
Thanks, John. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
After reading the article, I can't see anything in it that should warrant the thread to be removed and an infraction given. The last sentence mentioning sexual orientation doesn't seem objectionable or intolerant. It just makes a comparison that seems reasonable. Maybe it was just interpreted in a way that I cannot imagine. It probably could've been handled better if they posted what their objection to that sentence was in that thread and just discuss it. Discussion and dialogue should be a two-way street.

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
WoW! I was shocked when I read this. What are the mods trying to do?.....drive people away from SAS? Moderation is a tough job, BUT it should be an electable position with term limits.
This is not the presidency of a country you're talking about... It's a volunteer position on an internet forum (an SA one at that). Good luck finding people willing to do the job if they're forced to be voted on every few months or year (or whatever time period).

Also, referring to a mod as "Saddam Hussein" was pretty out of line and counterproductive.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
This is not the presidency of a country you're talking about... It's a volunteer position on an internet forum (an SA one at that). Good luck finding people willing to do the job if they're forced to be voted on every few months or year (or whatever time period).

Also, referring to a mod as "Saddam Hussein" was pretty out of line and counterproductive.
I have to agree with this. Crying about intolerance and then using a comment like that is ridiculous.

I do think Karl has a point but the added comments that follow do not help his cause.

And "electing" mods??? That is a ridiculous idea if you ask me.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I think the "parallel" is one that is tiring for some people. What does one have to do with the other? :con I know I personally tire of this comparison as well.

But that said, I dont find Karl's post intolerant or offensive. And I also agree it was published in its entirety in a newspaper so it doesnt make sense that it was removed from SAS.

But there is no need to bash the mods; and trust me I have had my go rounds with the mods just as much as anyone around here if not more; leading to me even being banned at one point. The way to solve these issues isnt to bash the mods but to make well worded well spoken points on issues you disagree with; not call them Sadaam Hussein.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
^^What WineKitty said^^

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have to agree with this. Crying about intolerance and then using a comment like that is ridiculous.

I do think Karl has a point but the added comments that follow do not help his cause.

And "electing" mods??? That is a ridiculous idea if you ask me.
o yea thats not counterproductive that ur doing either.. not respecting someones opinion. using the word "crying" too. Hes just saying.

·
insert witty comment here
6,159 Posts
I promised myself not to spend that much time here for a while but I have to comment in this thread.

stealyourface722,

Jrocj wasnt just saying, I think.

a) it is a pretty rubbish thing to say. You just dont go round comparing people to Saddam.
b) to drag Karl's thread down to that level does not help Karl at all (!)
c) Jrock seems to be developing a habit of dragging up ridiculous political analogies when posting. A few days ago he responded to the suggestion that Kelly should become a mod. He compared that to living in North Korea!

As MM said, he is jumping on a bandwagon. He hasn't been here for that long but he seems to take every opportunity pick a fight with the mods. In his first post in this thread he asks if mods are trying to drive people away. They are not. He is driving himself away.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I promised myself not to spend that much time here for a while but I have to comment in this thread.

stealyourface722,

Jrocj wasnt just saying, I think.

a) it is a pretty rubbish thing to say. You just dont go round comparing people to Saddam.
b) to drag Karl's thread down to that level does not help Karl at all (!)
c) Jrock seems to be developing a habit of dragging up ridiculous political analogies when posting. A few days ago he responded to the suggestion that Kelly should become a mod. He compared that to living in North Korea!

As MM said, he is jumping on a bandwagon. He hasn't been here for that long but he seems to take every opportunity pick a fight with the mods. In his first post in this thread he asks if mods are trying to drive people away. They are not. He is driving himself away.
Thanks Lisa I couldnt have said it better myself :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But that said, I dont find Karl's post intolerant or offensive. And I also agree it was published in its entirety in a newspaper so it doesnt make sense that it was removed from SAS.
Thank you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.