Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A tech support program. It would be diagnostic and would ask you series of questions related to the computer problem(s) you are having. Most computer problems are pretty basic and can be solved easily by taking numerous steps.

Sample dialog:
Have you installed any new programs lately?

If the person answers no it goes on to ask about other things like drivers and hardware. If they answer yes:

Did the problem occur after the program was installed?

If no it goes onto the drivers/hardware/etc.
If yes it gives a solution: Try uninstalling this program and restarting your computer. If the problem continues, the program you uninstalled was not the cause of the problem.

Upon a restart, the program would reappear so the person could continue diagnosis and such. Also this program would have to have minimum requirements in order to run under conditions where there is major computer trouble. It would probably be best for this program to be open source and easily customizable. That way, users can make the program better and such. Also if a certain problem occurs a lot, the program should "remember" that somehow.

Is this a good idea? Does such a program exist already? Real tech support is a joke.. and many computer users would benefit from fixing problems themselves rather than wasting money on a simple problem, so I thought it was a cool idea.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Doesn't this feature already exist in Windows XP Help & Troubleshooting? :stu

The worst part of any computer problem is determining where the problem actually is.

·
Registered
435 Posts
hmmm this is actually a really good idea. it does exist in windows xp but it's useless... though, granted, i havn't used it for a long time.

i'm already getting lots of other ideas that would make this extra-handy... pitts would you care if i stole this idea? i just might go ahead and try making it :) if i do i'll credit you for the idea :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts