Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure, hiding from those things that cause you fear or anxiety can eliminate some immediate stress..unfortunately once you've grown accostmed to living that way, it's really hard change .. even if it's making you completely miserable.

A quick note about this, I hate rhyming, but I do it ALL THE TIME. :sigh

My House

I locked myself inside this house,
And threw away the key.
Now I pound on the windows and the walls
But no one can hear me.
People used to come around
Each and every day,
But every time they'd call on me
I'd send them all away.
The doorbell, it stopped ringing
My shoes gathered dust in the hall
By the time I noticed
That my house was getting small.
Now the safety that I longed for,
And this lack of company
Beneath my dark and lonely roof
Are slowly crushing me.
I know the world still exists
But I cannot go outside,
Because each time I venture out
I want to run and hide.
I hope someday I'll find a way
To ease my fearful mind
Find the key, unlock the door
And leave my house behind.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First, thank you very much for your very kind words :) I've been writing poetry since I was about ten years old, and through the years I've never really seen much of a use for it outside of expressing inner thoughts/feelings/termoil/ect.

Edited to add: Shoes could be a metaphor for life/experiencing life. Also shoes is perfect for that since we oftent hink of shoes as what we use to walk through life- shoes equals experiences. And the people that stopped coming could be actual people or memories that need to be locked out because they can cause sadness.... :con stop mind stop...[/quote]

You know, the best thing about poetry is that it means different things to different people, and the most successful ones can be applied to almost everyone in some way at some time in their lives. At least that's how I feel. To be honest, until I started posting my poetry here, I wasnt even aware that a lot of what I write about could be connected with SA.

One note on the 'people' I mention in that poem.. For me it was actual people. I can remember several instances where I was invited to go places, or to do things with my friends and I turned them down because I was just too fearful. I realize that now, but you know what they say about hindsight.. lol..

·
Registered
321 Posts
Woah great poem. I can relate to this poem also. I have many things in my head but i just can't write them down. But you... put it down really well. :popcorn

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is such a great poem. I strongly identify with it, I like its style, I like its imagery.

Hmm... I actually waited a bit before I wrote a response, because I wanted to write something really meaningful about it like people above wrote... But I couldn't think of anything very profound, behind the things I wrote above. So there.

And by the way, I love rhyming! There's nothing wrong with it! And yeah, I do it all the time too when writing poems, although you use it in a better way.

One note on the 'people' I mention in that poem.. For me it was actual people. I can remember several instances where I was invited to go places, or to do things with my friends and I turned them down because I was just too fearful. I realize that now, but you know what they say about hindsight.. lol..
Yep, I did it all the time too. I still do, actually.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
orwen2000 said:
This is such a great poem. I strongly identify with it, I like its style, I like its imagery.

Hmm... I actually waited a bit before I wrote a response, because I wanted to write something really meaningful about it like people above wrote... But I couldn't think of anything very profound, behind the things I wrote above. So there.
Thank you .. and you know what.. its best just to say things when you think of them.. Dont worry too much about depth or meaning..just speak from the heart everytime you feel like you really need or want to say something.. you'll never fail yourself that way.. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rocknroll said:
EuphoriaMourning said:
I hope someday I'll find a way
To ease my fearful mind
Find the key, unlock the door
And leave my house behind.
Killer lines. :banana
ya know..thats the line I was actually worried about.. lol I was afraid it was too flowery..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts