Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone can relate, but I feel like my heart and mind are in a sort of conflict.

Intellectually, I am happy of who I am, I think, but I tend on the eccentric and it is hard for me to fit in with most crowds. Emotionally, however, I feel lonely and unaccepted.

I am torn between being real (who I really am) and feelings accepted (fitting in). It is hard compromising the two.

I have a bit of shyness, a little OCD (much better now), some low self-esteem, and some general anxiety.

Thanx for listening!

darrin

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ah, I understand.

I'm happy with myself as a person, but I can be a bit insane, eccentric, ect, and most people just don't understand it. So, I'm torn between ignoring how I am and 'fitting in', or just saying 'the hell with people' and going on my merry way.

Tough. >.>

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I've felt that way before, but I decided to just give up on fitting in. I don't really want to be one of the crowd. I like being different/weird or whatever. And I like eccentric people because they're interesting. I think it would be fun to join like a eccentric club. :popcorn

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've felt that way and came to the conclusion that trying to fit in is not worth the hassle. I've embraced my weirdness instead. :lol :)

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
I am getting to like myself more - I really have some good qualities that people do like. They just have to see past the SA stare. :stu

Darrin - I do know how you feel, though. Getting over this disorder is going to take some time.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I can fake it, and fit in pretty well on the outside, but on the inside I think I've gone beyond being merely eccentric and have crossed the line into insanity. As in, I don't share the same reality as normal people, and because of this, I hate myself. Emotionally, I also feel totaly alone and unaccepted. I can't stand the person that I really am, and would give anything to be normal.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
You're accepted here, Living in Darkness. I don't think you're crazy; you're creative!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Living in darkness -- what is reality?
And again,
What is normal?

We as humans feel the need to create a 'normal' set of standards for the entire race, but really, its nothing more then the most accepted version of human life.

How do you know your reality is different from anyone else's? Have you seen into their brain? ;)

Surprisingly, the 'normal' you're thinking of didn't emerge until the 19th century.

If you do not presure yourself into 'normality', there will be no normal.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
self vs others

I feel for "living in darkness." I feel that way a lot. Sometimes I hate everyone else..........but sometimes I hate myself. And usually I lie at one of these extremes.

I suppose both mindsets are desructive. Blaming problems on everyone else leads to irresponsibility, but blaming problems on the self leads to depression. I suspect that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. The trick is finding that modicum of empowerment that really does lie in the self....as hard as that is.

thanx for listening

·
Registered
81 Posts
BeautifullyDemented said:
Living in darkness -- what is reality?
And again,
What is normal?

We as humans feel the need to create a 'normal' set of standards for the entire race, but really, its nothing more then the most accepted version of human life.

How do you know your reality is different from anyone else's? Have you seen into their brain? ;)

Surprisingly, the 'normal' you're thinking of didn't emerge until the 19th century.

If you do not presure yourself into 'normality', there will be no normal.
I agree with this statement. "Normal" and "reality" is relative and interpretive. We have also had media-generated concepts of normalcy crammed down our throat when we, likely, don't know a single family/person who has experienced life exactly in accordance with this perception of "normal".
What is "normal" is an extremely personal thing - I am normal; to me.
The world is full of individuals - "normal" is just a perceived notion of statistical averages. I am an individual. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts