Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I am the critic in this hairdresser saga, that alot of people have anxiety over.

I really dont care if I talk to my hairdresser or not, cause I really could do without the 'yeps' and ok's.
You cant half tell , they really are not interested in me at all. I am just a client, and they have to be nice, they dont really care what I'm doing with the rest of my afternoon, so why ask me. It is so fake.
Dont sweat it people, I'm sorry I'm a half assed cynic right now, hairdressers are annoying not intimidating. I only want to have my hair cut by someone that loves their job, cause I'm there for an indulgence, not some hairdresser pretending to care I'm up to. I dont want to feel they'd rather be in another profession, while hacking up my hair.

·
In hiding
1,455 Posts
I feel a bit weird for saying this, but from when I was little, my mum would always cut my hair. She'd wanted to be a hairdresser though, so whenever people asked at primary school who cut it, I'd tell them it was my mum but add that fact about her wanting to be a hairdresser so it didn't sound so... lame?

Now I honestly like cutting my own hair, though I sometimes feel weird because everyone around me goes to the hairdressers' and talks about it like it's just the thing you do (mind you I know people into cutting their own hair too, lol).

One time my mum made me feel really bad about it too, because I'd bleached my hair but hadn't immediately gotten the desired result, and she said I should go to the hairdresser so they could fix it. When I'd said I didn't want to, she yelled at me that I was screwed then, but in this really nasty way. I don't know... a really bad mood of hers I guess but still. It just shows you she has no idea of my fears or anything. :roll

·
Registered
619 Posts
I feel a bit weird for saying this, but from when I was little, my mum would always cut my hair. She'd wanted to be a hairdresser though, so whenever people asked at primary school who cut it, I'd tell them it was my mum but add that fact about her wanting to be a hairdresser so it didn't sound so... lame?

Now I honestly like cutting my own hair, though I sometimes feel weird because everyone around me goes to the hairdressers' and talks about it like it's just the thing you do (mind you I know people into cutting their own hair too, lol).

One time my mum made me feel really bad about it too, because I'd bleached my hair but hadn't immediately gotten the desired result, and she said I should go to the hairdresser so they could fix it. When I'd said I didn't want to, she yelled at me that I was screwed then, but in this really nasty way. I don't know... a really bad mood of hers I guess but still. It just shows you she has no idea of my fears or anything. :roll
My mom used to cut my hair too. She did a decent job, but once I got an actual style, I started going to the salon. She tried to do angled bangs once and it wasn't pretty lol.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I dont know how to make you feel better, but dont put them up higher than you. I just didnt like the way mine made me feel like she'd rather be doing something else. I had a huge coughing fit, they got me water and I was better after that. They dont make me nervous, I'm just quiet. I am who I am.They would come across so many many people a week and I am sure alot of them dont converse with the hairdresser. Not everyone has it going on at the hairdresser.
I hate the yeps and oks as replies to my talking to her. I'm not judging her, I just think it irritating when its too obvious she is fed up with cutting hair and she's cutting mine.:eek:

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
for me my dislike towards getting my hair cut isn't usually the talking or SA. it's just so uncomfortable for me to have to wear that robe/cover thing as i get hot underneath and it can be itchy, then it can be pretty loud in the place with hairdryers going, i really can't stand when people tug at my hair, and sometimes they are crap at blowdrying it since my hair is very thick and a pain. last time i had to dig my fingernails in my skin to avoid going insane :D bad salon.

so i just go to the cheap one down the road where it's kind of empty and she doesn't do anything with it after it's cut so i can just go home and dry/straighten it with myself. i just went like an hour ago actually and it was quick and painless. only $15.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
It's true, they don't really care and remember what you said. They are just making conversation to be polite.

·
Confused
735 Posts
I feel a bit weird for saying this, but from when I was little, my mum would always cut my hair.
Same. My mom used to suck at cutting hair, so I'd end up with a 'mushroom' hairstyle (I was mocked at school for years for this). Eventually I realized I could shave my head, and have been doing it ever since. No need for a hairdresser!

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I just listen to them bicker and make myself laugh. :lol

·
The b**** is back
1,121 Posts
I don't like going to hairdressers because (this is going to make me sound like a total snob) in my experience most of them are just so vapid. "Oh my god....like......Hiiiiiiiii!.....How are you?!.....Like, totally.....!" It's as if they're perpetual teenagers. I don't mind conversation but at least make it about something that actually matters.

Oddly enough, though, I know three hairdressers socially and they aren't like that at all. But the ones I've met in salons just seem like vacant club kids.

·
Banned
382 Posts

i cant stand hairdressers--unlses they're nice and do your hair ok. I had a series of many years where I had only bad experiences with them- they would always somehow mess up my hair, cut it too much, or 'accidentally' (yeah right) poke me in the eye with scissors or hit me in the face...everytime i went 'someone' would do 'something' to me that was negative or bad and msot of the time intentionally. I had to keep calling managers, getting refunds...being scared to go to the next hairdresser. I also have CFS and fibromyalgia and they dont get to "be gentle" and are usually rough with your hair and you have to keep telling them to be gentle but they are so stupid they dont get it...Like once b/c i cancelled two appts a hairdresser ended up purposely hitting me in the face (accidentally), doing a bad hair job, everything, then when i called to complain she said to the mgr "she cancelled on me twice"...like really? ridiculous....most of the time they are terrible I think.. I try to stick to 'one' but the salon shut down so now i have to keep goign to different ones and its a nightmare. The last one I had was so rude and treated me like crap and it was terrible and she messed my hair up etc...the one before was nice...and did a good job....most of the time im terrified to go to a hair stylist b/c now its not only some irrational jerk 'person', its some idiot with 'scissors' in their hand and who knows what they can do to you...

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
Meh, just hold out a little longer, or grow your hair out until hairdressers are replaced with robots. I doubt robots would be required to speak to customers, unless the social aspect is so ingrained in our cultures conscious of what hairdressers do that the robot designers created personalities for these things. I guess time will tell.

I cut my own hair btw, I don't enjoy the hairdressers in my area, they are all horrible at making my face and head look good together.

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
Heh, that's really funny, because my dad cut my hair and I did the opposite, I was all braggy and such, like yeah got it for free from my dad. Isn't that impressive, he can do a buzz cut just like the professionals! hahaha. Maybe it is different depending on our gender expectations, I don't know, just found that funny

1 - 14 of 14 Posts