Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, its almost time for a social charge!!! this summer Im going to do all the following like crazy:
-toastmasters
-nightclub/bars
-meeting SAS people in person
-speed dating
-cultural events
-social clubs
-dating relationship bootcamp
-spiritual classes
-meetup.com
-mall excersizes(changing perceptions in cafeteria, chit chatting with salespeople in stores, asking people for time, etc)
-phone people i know for chit chat
-phone people i dont know for chit chat(may use soundboard technology for assistance)
-Dances and dance classes
-online dating
-use excort service or female friends for practice date
-webcam/mic chats
-have someone video tape me proposing marriage to random strangers

all for one goal: to become a super duper extroverted social butterfly that can make friends or girlfriend anywhere!!!

Preparation:
secure the beliefs that:
-the only failure is not trying, everything else is a learning experience. Going out=success, staying in= failure
-being too lazy to go out makes me weak
-people are fun to hang out with and play with
-I can have a fun time with people
-I can lead people
-I can form relationships
-fear or any other feeling is not a valid reason to stop trying

I have to finish up my getting of abs of steel before i can commit time to this social plan. Ill have to give it a good fitness charge and dedicate the next few weeks to nothing but fitness.
Then it will be summer, people out and about, and it will be time to dedicate everything to social life! it will be time for the social charge!!! CCCCCCHHHHAAAAARRRGEEE!!!

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
It's great to be driven, but be methodical about it AJ. Use your energy wisely because you have a ton. It'd be cool if you post a picture of your progress. When I developed a six-pack, for the longest time I didn't believe I had it, while people were calling me Bruce Lee and ****. Just because you don't have a six-pack like Vin Diesel doesn't mean you don't have a six pack.

·
calm
264 Posts
Because he wants to change, like all of us, and the best way to do that is to start here and now without letting yourself be held back, which is an unfortunate mistake that I have often repeated.
okay that is a reason
but to me he seems to exaggerate it, he seems to do so bad, he even bare to do all this stuff that people without SA have fear of. like speeddating for instance.

it is one thing to get socially active but to put oneself so hard out isnt healthy in my opinion

·
TOOL
357 Posts
okay that is a reason
but to me he seems to exaggerate it, he seems to do so bad, he even bare to do all this stuff that people without SA have fear of. like speeddating for instance.

it is one thing to get socially active but to put oneself so hard out isnt healthy in my opinion
I agree.

I wish you all the best, AJ. But to me, it sounds like you are being a little too ambitious, I mean all those things in the summer? Some of them are reasonable but others are way out there. You need to take it slow, you can't make your anxiety disappear overnight or in a couple of months. And just cause you do these things doesn't mean your SA will go away.

I think it's better to find long-term solutions than quick-fixes. I don't know how bad your SA is, but doing all these things in such a short-period of time is not reasonable by any standards. Some of the things you mentioned seemed way out there even for "normal" people. You might be setting yourself up for failure.

That said, I wish you all the best and hope you accomplish your goals and get rid of your SA.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
okay that is a reason

Oh, I dunno. One could take things slowly and carefully, that's my way. But I don't think it's wrong to go at it full steam like AJ plans to. I guess the risk is getting exhausted or disheartened and giving up, but he seems to take a healthy attitude towards failure: it's only not trying that's a failure. I say good luck to you, AJ, let us know if it works!

Edit: I just noticed the "have someone videotape me proposing marriage to random strangers." If you did that to me, I'd be really cross! More with the videotaping than the joke marriage proposal. Don't go upsetting any random strangers now!

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
Good luck on accomplishing those goals! I believe it is good to have plenty of ambition. Shoot for the moon and even if you miss, you will land among the stars (that is a famous quote from somewhere). Even if you don't accomplish everything on your list, you should be proud of yourself just for making the effort.

Best of luck to you this summer! Do you have abs of steel yet?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks all, and dont worry about it being too hard

Ive actually already done everything on the list at least once, cept speed dating.

I just need to do tons of it so it sticks

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
thanks all, and dont worry about it being too hard

Ive actually already done everything on the list at least once, cept speed dating.

I just need to do tons of it so it sticks
Wow! That is great! Are you sure you have SA? :)

·
TOOL
357 Posts
-dating relationship bootcamp
-phone people i dont know for chit chat(may use soundboard technology for assistance)
-online dating
-use excort service or female friends for practice date
-webcam/mic chats
-have someone video tape me proposing marriage to random strangers
You already tried all those? I know people without SA who wouldn't do half the things you mentioned. You confuse me, AJ.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah, i can do anything now

its just about being motivated and actually wanting to do these things now

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.