Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so ive been debating for a while if I should go to the doctor or not for some ssri's but the thing that gets me the most is how akward its going to be when I first explain it to him, when he asks for the problem, do I say " I think i have social anxiety " as if im positive??

I need these, im going to the prom without a date, so when the gangsta music comes on, I need these things to keep me positive so I wont feel like an idiot doing crazy dances

no wait, but the thing that makes me feel the most bad about doing it is if he DOESNT prescribe me anything, if he says " im gonna recommend you to a psychtrist or htw u spell it, plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz just prescribe it to me in the 1st apointment plz!

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Yep, Njodis is right - I've been Paxiled. :(

When I read the title of this thread, I thought.......

.......BATHROOM! :flush :lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
I kept my SA a secret for years. I finally forced myself to get help by admitting to my doctor that I had problems with anxiety. I didn't use the term "social anxiety" or anything like that. I just said anxiety. I requested a referral to a psychiatrist and got one right away, and the psychiatrist gave me a prescription for Paxil on my very first appointment. I stopped seeing her after awhile and I weaned myself off the Paxil. A year later I was desperate to go back on it, so I made an appointment with my regular doctor. I said I'd been on Paxil and wanted to go back on it. And she whipped out her prescription pad and wrote me a *one-year* presciption for Paxil right then and there without asking me any questions other than what dosage I wanted. I can't see your doctor putting up any kind of a fight when you ask him for SSRI's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just go, dude. They are doctors, they deal with this stuff all the time. Don't worry about it. Tell them the symptoms and they will diagnose. hell, at my first meeting the symptoms kicked in just talking about them. The doctor doesn't care - he sees this every day!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well, it's weird, I'd never tell my doctor about any of my psychological problems - I've known him way too long. I ended up going to a doctor at my school, and she prescribed zoloft to me. So you don't necessarily have to go to your family doctor. But I did have to be referred by my counsellor

·
Registered
228 Posts
I know how you feel, i put it off for years out of the fear of how akward and how embarressed i would feel. But what made it better for me is i didnt go to my family doctor and went to psychiatrist. Which was the better decision not just because i didnt know them but because a psychiatrist is more likely to prescribe you what you need. I got prescribed klonopin on my first visit which has provided much needed relief.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
do I say " I think i have social anxiety " as if im positive??
Sure, why not say that? And "I think..." is not what you preface a statement with when you're positive.

Take the Liebowitz Social Anxiety Scale and see how you do: http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/disorder/liebowitz/

You could even print out the result and hand them to your doctor. The fact that you're posting on SAS and terrified to talk to your doctor would make me believe that you almost surely have social anxiety.

I'd say you have a 98% chance of leaving the doctor's office with some SSRI prescription and quite likely a pile of samples that were dropped off by the endless herd of drug reps who regularly visit.

I'd say "don't worry" but I know you will anyhow because you have SA. Good Luck.

Karl

1 - 8 of 8 Posts