Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
So it goes.
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty much always nervous before going to class. I'm in a creative writing workshop where we are required [and heavily graded on] participation. This means I need to speak up at least five times per two hour workshop. I spend a lot of time thinking about what I'm going to say and it becomes overwhelming. I feel a lot of pressure to say something that isn't stupid, but at the same time, saying something stupid is better than saying nothing. But saying something stupid causes me horrible anxiety ("Why did I just say that? Why did it come out like that? That's not what I meant to say! Everyone thinks I'm an idiot, etc").

This class always requires me to lead the class twice over the semester (yes, 2 hours each time). And on Thursday I am up for workshop, which means I will distribute a story I wrote and the class will critique it while I listen (afterwards I will get a chance to respond). I'm not complaining about any of this. This is what I signed up for when I became a Creative Writing major.

I am upset because I was terribly sick yesterday, and I spent the entire day working. Today I woke up and I feel even worse. I don't want to go into details of my sickness, but it's not the type that pairs well with a two hour long class. I can't let this stop me. I need to go today because I will fall behind if I don't (summer classes are set at a fast pace; missing one is like missing a week of regular class).

My goal today is to survive. I would like to fulfill my participation requirement, and I would like to ignore my sickness. I would also like to have a conversation with one of my classmates before class.

Here's to positive thinking!! I know I can do this. I will make it through the day. I will feel anxious, and that is okay. It is okay to feel uncomfortable. It is okay to feel sick. I will overcome this. :D

·
So it goes.
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did it! I got through it!

I only managed to raise my hand 3 times today, but that is 1 more than last time, so I'm still pleased.

I'm shooting for 4 next time!!

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
I did it! I got through it!

I only managed to raise my hand 3 times today, but that is 1 more than last time, so I'm still pleased.

I'm shooting for 4 next time!!
Great job :) That sounds like a tough class for anyone with anxiety. Think I'd fail the participation part for sure. Is really good that you are willing to challenge yourself with this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Congratulations! Raising your hand 3 times to speak is huge for someone with SA. Great job! Are you feeling better today?

·
So it goes.
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm feeling a little bit better today. So far I've succeeded in my challenge. Two classes ago I reached four times in a class, and yesterday I reached five! :D

I'm hoping for six tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts