Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:no hi all, this question has probably been asked loads of time but does anyone know a good anti - anxiety / depression medication to start out with?i am in self - help therapy but am going doctors to get somthing. i need somthin to slow me and my thinking down and help with my mood? any suggestions greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
A first line treatment you'll most likely be given for depression/anxiety will probably be an SSRI, most likely either Zoloft, Lexapro or Paxil (aropax).

·
Banned
232 Posts
any valium type med is good for anxiety but its entirely up to the docs personal prejudices as to whether you will get any

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Valium is a bit strong. :afr

Celexa, Xanax, Paxil, Wellbutrin, etc., are various drugs.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I wouldn't start with a (harder to get) benzodiazepine like Valium / Klonopin / Xanax, especially when you have generalized social phobia and depression too. I consider Lexapro and Zoloft first choice in this case.

·
Sea of clouds.
223 Posts
My doctor started me with Prozac. He said it was generally well-tolerated (i.e. less side effects) and seems to have a good spectrum of effects. It's also fairly inexpensive, unlike the Wellbutrin I'm on now...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts