Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Just passin' by
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, my names Brian, I stumbled upon this site some months ago after the thoughts of my anxiety turned over in my head enough to where I wanted to take the plunge to online forums. I wanted help, a community, people who understand, and I came across this forum. Ive never been clinically diagnosed with SA, but I live daily, and have for years, with numerous apprehensions of social interactions that have held me back from doing a lot of things that I wanted to, but couldn't will myself enough.

I would never describe myself as just shy or introverted, instead I do numerous things that run deeper, such as avoiding going places in fear of people that I may see which I recognize. When I have a discussion with someone face to face, I often fidget around and look to the side, I avoid expressing myself openly, and to some others I may avoid them entirely - all because I am deeply afraid of how they perceive me, and its tough beyond reason sometimes. Even if I cant justify my perceptions of how others look at me, I know in my heart that sometimes it is a feeling of scorn, of viewing me as rude or or an outcast, because I dont always return the same gestures or words with the same level of effervescence as the other party, I feel holed up, alone, I have friends but am hard pressed to make new ones - I dont want to live like that anymore.

As far as what I do, I am in school and am slated to graduate soon. I am studying biology with a chemistry minor, in hopes of one day working with pharmaceuticals, more specifically conducting research.

I came here in hopes of developing a sense of community, in order to mingle with others who have a sense of what I have to deal with. I want to know how I can best combat this cloud that lingers over my head, to blow it away, or dim it from sight. Again, Ive never had a formal diagnosis, and would love to know options that are available to me, such as group therapy, medications, and other tools to cope with this disorder in the best way possible.

This intro may be a little bit patchy and there's a lot which I could touch on but Ill leave those for another time and place. I hope to see you guys around. :)

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, WellingtonSears! :)

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Hello Brian!

I would never describe myself as just shy or introverted, instead I do numerous things that run deeper, such as avoiding going places in fear of people that I may see which I recognize.
I have a lot of trouble with that. I avoid going to places that I know certain people work and avoid places at times I think I'm likely to run into ex coworkers. Unfortunately, I was in an auto parts deliver job so they get around a lot even during their work hours :(

·
+1 Creativity
209 Posts
Hello Brian! Congratulations on your impending graduation! I know of a lot of people who take Biology with a Chemistry minor actually and they say its pretty damn difficult lol. I have yet to decide what to do with my life or major...

Welcome to the forums! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts