Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: When I talk to people I become very paranoid that they're judging me badly and become very self conscious - as you've heard a billion times - but I find something peculiar happens, the muscles in my face just seem to freeze. Not move at all. Nothing. If I smile, my smile is frozen painfully on my face and I find it EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to let my face *function* normally, or move smoothly and naturally. I'm talking mostly about my jaw/mouth area.

Does this happen to any of you? Any similar phenomenon? Could someone please help me? Advice? Links? Hope to hear from someone...soon...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Totally. I get very self-concious about my face. I think people can read fear in my eyes and see that I'm shaking on the inside. The only way I can control it is by being emotionless.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know how you feel. Whenever that happens to me, if I try to smile, I look way more frightened rather than actually happy. I can't even keep my mind on what the person is saying. So by the time they finish talking and expect a response.. I'm just like.. "huh?" or "yeahhh, i know right?" *twitch* *queue freaky smile*

What helps me deal with it is practicing in the mirror. Just pretending to have a conversation with myself. Weird, I know but I'm pretty sure some people here do it. :) Or sometimes, I webcam with friends and I still get nervous, so I use that as a way to observe myself talk. (that's how I found out I look frightened when I try to smile) So when I see that happening, I just calm down and make an actual smile. I think I've improved quite a bit from doing those things often.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone still have similar symptoms/problems? I work in the information and as a cashier at a big mall and I got this! Everytime I see a new customer my face freezes and it feels tense inside (mostly around my nose), I also feel judged and feared by many.

One customer told me "you should solve your personal problems at home". I hadnt said a word to the guy, so I guess thats how I look like :/
I'm supposed to smile and say hello to every new customer but I feel tense even around my closest co-workers and near my friends/family aswell.

Of course I have good times aswell and sometimes I feel like something good came out of looking towards a person but most of the time its just difficult.

This really hurts! All because I have some stupid facial fixation/disease. Please help! Advise, tips, links are still welcome!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I took this day of, can't stand meeting people and their faces today. Feel like a burden. Like I don't contribute. Turning emotionless. Freezing in every social situation.

Bumping to see if people got over something like this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.