Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

My english class

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Dove 
#1 ·
My english teacher addressed an issue that she noticed my english class has problems with.

Communcation skills :afr . I don't know why but my english class doesn't have any "leaders" that love to answer questions and lead discussion. Normally when she asks a question the whole class just sits there and doesn't' say a work just looks at her. and shes given us many speechs about it.
she said she hates calling on people
She even had to put our names on sticks and she randomly draws a sticks when she wants someone to speak. its gotten that bad.

she said that most employers want people that can voluntarily speak without being called on. and we should practice that in every class we are in. Since we are seniors and we should already have this skill mastered. :lol

#2 ·
I'm an English major and have heard this from many of my professors. The fact is that no matter what your major is or what job you want, chances are "good communication skills" will be needed and/or asked for. I kind of have to ignore that one or I wouldn't be qualified for anything. I do fairly well under pressure though, but as for school, I just do my own thing because if I feel constantly pressured I do bad.

#4 ·
Oh yeah, I hate it when this stuff happens in a class. Last semester, my philosophy class was exactly the same way. The teacher would ask a question and the rest of the class would just sit there drooling over themselves and trying to remember what they did last night in their drunken stupor.

I hated the silence more than my anxiety about speaking up, so I made myself the class 'leader' and took one for the team and spoke up a few times.

#5 ·
My english class is the same way. When my teacher lectures us on talking more, i feel embarassed even though shes talking to the whole class.

I remember the first day of class she said some of our grade depends on participation and she pretty much said theres no reason not to speak up in class.

#6 ·
Haha, my English class is like yours. When our professor asks a question, the whole class sits in silence while she stares at us waiting. She doesn't give us any speeches about communication skills though, thankfully. She actually seems like she'd be understanding about those things, at least more than most teachers I've had. From the presentations I've seen though, most people don't seem to have trouble with public speaking. They just don't say much in class.

Wow, the stick-pulling thing that your teacher does. I would HATE that. I remember my teacher in elementary did that when it came to reading out loud and I would get so nervous.

I really hate when teachers lecture us about needing good communication skills. It's extremely discouraging and I don't even think it's always true. I had a job through an internship that my high school provided me with, and my boss said I was the best intern she's ever had. And trust me, I have no communication skills. I mean, I know it's kind of different from the real word since I was practically given the job, but it just shows that good communication skills aren't ALWAYS needed. A lot of teachers make things sound worse than they really are. Teachers have tried to scare us about middle school, high school, and college. None were ever as bad as the teachers made it sound. I'm just starting in college but it's not even that bad yet. Work-wise, it's just like high school.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.