Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

My brother upset my mom

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  copper 
#1 ·
I feel like kicking his butt. He didn't call my mom at all when he got back over here from another stay in Afghanistan. He didn't even tell us he was going over there. I guess there was a big explosion where he was staying at the day after he left. He finally called my mom. He told her that there was a Christmas card that she sent that was unopened. My mom always sends a card with a check because she never knows what to buy him. Well it was also addressed to his wife. Me and my parent's aren't on the best terms with his wife. She has treated us like were are scum from day one. She didn't even opened it up. How rude. Then my brother defender her saying she couldn't cash the check anyways. Mom told him that she could of still endorsed it and the bank would of accepted it anyways. The other thing that upset my mom is when my mom called him he was so snotty telling her that he didn't have time to speak to her due to doing paperwork. He ended up making my mom cry at work. He is getting snotty just like his wife. My father paid for his whole education. I even paid for some of it too. I wish he never got involved with that idiot he is married too. Her family is just as bad.

#3 ·
Sorry you and your Mom are getting trested badly. What is your brother doing in Afghanistan?
He is a Nurse in the Air Force. He has been going over there for 4 months at a time staying on an old Soviet Air Base where they treat the wounded.

#4 ·
That's really important work he's doing. Maybe he's seen some awful things, maybe he's been horribly frightened, maybe he's suffering. That doesn't justify treating his mother badly, but maybe there's some kind of reason there. I don't know, maybe he'd be just as mean if he wasn't a nurse in Afghanistan.

I know it's horrible when you don't get on with a loved one's spouse, but he married her, so iguess you just have to avoid/deal with her as best you can. If he and his wife split up, he'll really need you and his mother then.

Have you tried talking to him, telling him he's made your Mom feel bad? maybe he doesn't realise how hurtful he's been?

I don't want to make excuses for this guy, there's no real excuse for mistreating your own mother. Sorry I don't have better advice - maybe another SASer does? :S

#5 ·
You need to confront your brother. It would be a whole different story after you lose one of your parents. My brother stil does not want to have anything to do with my Mom, and I hate that. I have been able to forgive her for all the mess and move on - we get along pretty well.

His behavior is childish and primadonna-like.

#6 ·
My mom lost her father when she was a senior in high school and then her mother 4 years later while she was carrying me. She said that he should cherish the time he could be spending with mom and dad. She said she wish she could of spent more time with her parents. She had to grow up really fast. I think my brother should be reminded of this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.