Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit, I'm curious about your guys' opinions on this one. It's come up in a thread before, and was quite controversial. The whole practicality vs. appropriateness as a gift thing divided people.

Situation: My 21st birthday was in Febraury. We've been together three years. He lives about 90 minutes away, so we don't get to see each other too often, but I have seen him a few times since then. He said he's known what to get me for months, but he didn't want to lug it on transit so he would buy it one morning near my home before meeting me.

This morning he shows up with big bag from a department store. In it is a dyson handheld vacuum. Yes, the fancy one with the cyclone technology that never loses suction, from the grey haired inventor guy in the commercials. It's a serious, high quality handheld vacuum.

Now, I do have an odd love of cleaning. My family owns an upright regular sized Dyson, and I have the same weird affection to it that some men have with cars. I flipped out like a kid might for an xbox when my mom brought it home last year.

So, SAS: is a handheld vacuum cleaner an appropriate 21st birthday gift for your girlfriend?

For the record, I think it's hilarious, and am just pleased he remembered. I'm a pretty easy going gal, so the practicalness is okay with me. I'm just curious what the general opinion on it is.

·
The Phoenix
381 Posts
I think it really boils down to, do YOU like it? The acceptability of a gift varies from person to person. If he bought it for you simply because he wants you to be his personal maid that's one thing, but if he bought it for you because he thought you would like it that's completely different and if YOU like it and he didn't buy it with a malicious intent I say itz all good.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
if you are interested in it, then of course it's appropriate.

if a boyfriend bought me one i'd probably be offended since i'd either take it as a hint that he hates my extreme slobiness or he's just a sexist prick hahaha. (i'm only joking though, i would prob just laugh)

·
Registered
444 Posts
From what you say, thinking it's halarious and you have a love for cleaning, it seems very fitting.

But like everyone else said, all that matters is do you like it?

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well as I said I'm just pleased he remembered. I appreciate the thought, definitely. I don't clean as a hobby or anything, I just enjoy it more than most people when it needs to be done.

Both my parents were kindof...surprised at the choice of gift. I just can't say "He got me a vacuum cleaner" without cracking up yet.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
He was thinking of you and not in a cleaning context, just that you like to clean. If you like to clean, you gotta have the best tools. It would be like buying him a fancy tool set for fixing the car.

I don't think this was sexist at all.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^Oh gosh that was priceless. I laughed so unbelieveable hard.

At least hers was wrapped :b

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I could be wrong, but it seems to me like you're a little disappointed even though you're trying not to portray that you are. Imo, I wouldn't want an appliance for my birthday even if I loved to clean. I think something more personal would have been better.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I really like those handheld vacs personally. I know that 21 is played up like 16 and 18 or 25 but that never mattered to me, it was just another birthday. It's a great present to me.

·
Registered
984 Posts
That sucks!

Sorry

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really like those handheld vacs personally. I know that 21 is played up like 16 and 18 or 25 but that never mattered to me, it was just another birthday. It's a great present to me.
Yes, the dysons themselves are wonderfully wonderful. Like I said, I'm freakishly attached to my family's upright one. In terms of picking a specific vacuum, it was an awesome choice.

I'm just curious about the opinion on the vacuum-as-a-gift thing in general.

Shyvr6 said:
I could be wrong, but it seems to me like you're a little disappointed even though you're trying not to portray that you are. Imo, I wouldn't want an appliance for my birthday even if I loved to clean. I think something more personal would have been better.
I guess I was kindof surprised about the appliance thing. I do think it was meant as a personal thing, because I definitely believe it was thoughtfully bought with the best intentions. I believe him when he says he planned it out. But yeah, I wouldn't have been able to guess it in a million years.

·
calm
264 Posts
hahhaha bold move, bold move

i wouldnt dare to do that and sometimes i am a real jerk. it is cool, that you are cool about it but many woman wouldnt be

·
Registered
145 Posts
Don't look at it as a 'vacuum cleaner', think of it as a gift that he put alot of thought into and one that shows he knows you...he obviously remembers how you reacted over the bigger Dyson when your Mum brought it home and wanted to give you something you'd love in the same way. I think it is an absolutely adorable, thoughtful, special gift that also happens to be an appliance :)

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
Truthfully, it depends on how he thought you would feel about it.
I mean, if you love cleaning and you've ever talked about a new vacuum, I'd see this as totally sweet, because he was listening and he was paying attention to your likes and dislikes.

If you've never mentioned a vacuum, don't like cleaning, haven't cleaned anything with a smile on your face, well, he's either saying you need to start cleaning or maybe that you don't clean enough, lol.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Whoa handheld thats mighty practical (no, seriously). I think its appropriate and funny. Even though you aren't obsessed with cleaning, he may have got the impression that you really love to clean...somehow. Look at it this way...its multifunctional: you can use the crevice tool as a door stop, you can chuck the vac at that cat that makes that annoying sound in the middle of the night and when you are bored you can try to vacuum flies as they fly by.

·
Banned
791 Posts
I think that was sweet of him. I few months ago I would have been really happy to receive a new vacuum. My old one is fixed now so I don't need a new one.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'll be honest, I would be upset if I received a hoover for my birthday off my fiance, but if you are happy with it and like it, there's nothing wrong with it.

Our hoover is broke at the moment and I would like one, but i'd still be upset if it was meant as a gift, for me, it's out of necessity that I want it.

It just depends on the receipiant of the gift.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Even if you didn't have a freakish love of cleaning I don't see anything wrong with giving a practical gift like a vacuum cleaner, assuming there's no ulterior motive. I'd appreciate any gift from my (hypothetical) boyfriend. I mean, within reason. I wouldn't appreciate a severed human hand or anything. But I don't really put that much stock into gifts.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
At least he didn't get you a Sham-Wow.

Actually, a Sham-Wow in addiction to the vacuum cleaner would have been the most hilarious gift ever.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts