Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My biggest problem with anxiety is eating around people.

I have trouble swallowing when I'm out.. It's been like this for a few years.

First off, I love to eat and have no problem eating on my own or at home.
However, when I go out in public or on a date it's become such a challenge that I avoid ot all together.

Its like because someone else is there, my timing is all off and i clench..which fuels anxiety and creates either panic or frustation.

Im so mindful of it now that it's become a way of life..:afr

Any advice? I've already seen my doc and spoke to therapist about it. There are no physical issues, just timing and nerves...UGHH!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Are you able to eat out in public "alone" (that is, with no one else you know specifically, but still in sight of other people that may be in the restaurant)?

I think that's a good way to start practicing - that way, you can still get out and work towards overcoming this, but you won't have anyone directly monitoring your anxiety.

Just go out somewhere, grab a table alone, and try becoming accustomed to eating in a public space. If you have to, initially only go to places where you know there wouldn't be very many other people around. Order something that's easy to swallow - I don't know, ice cream or something.

That's all I got. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you able to eat out in public "alone" (that is, with no one else you know specifically, but still in sight of other people that may be in the restaurant)?

I think that's a good way to start practicing - that way, you can still get out and work towards overcoming this, but you won't have anyone directly monitoring your anxiety.

Just go out somewhere, grab a table alone, and try becoming accustomed to eating in a public space. If you have to, initially only go to places where you know there wouldn't be very many other people around. Order something that's easy to swallow - I don't know, ice cream or something.

That's all I got. Good luck.
thank you. funny enough, i'm doing that now.

Its actually not too bad..

·
Registered
608 Posts
I despise eating alone in a restaurant setting too. I always avoid it if I can by only going to the food court with my roommate or getting drive-thru at fast food places. Then again, I do have just a general issue with going to places alone.

I also noticed that if I am drinking something in front of people, and I focus on swallowing even for a little bit, I can't seem to swallow right. It comes out so loud. I've even had my mom confirm it sounds weird.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts