Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't decide whether I should go to six flags amusement park with my brother, his girlfriend, and a cousin. Initially, two other cousins is going with us, but now they say they can't make it. So, in reality, I would spend most of the time with the cousin who is going, since my brother has his girlfriend. My brother can't stand rollercoasters so his girlfriend would stay with him, and I suspect they would do their own things. This is troubling because I think my cousin is a 'coaster' person. That means that I am left with my one cousin who I am not in good terms with. I would describe our relationship as neutral, though we never argued or anything. He knows I am shy and awkward; At family parties, we hardly talk much.

I have been in this situation before at the mall when we go together (with my brother and his girlfriend of course) and my cousin and I would separate, doing our own things. This cousin is more attached to my brother, which is why he chooses to go with us to places. I don't know what to do when my cousin and I wait in line for a ride. 20, 30 minute waits. It is unlikely that we separate like in a mall. Who would want to a go to an amusement park alone?

Any advice on whether or not I should go will be helpful.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
I guess it comes down to whether or not you believe you could have a good time or if going will be beneficial to your anxiety or general feelings. Do you think going somewhere like a themepark which is good fun could somehow bring you and your cousin closer and have a good laugh together?

And let's say you do split and end up being by yourself, would that mean you could not have any fun at all? Perhaps it may simply be a good opportunity to get out there and enjoy yourself, grab some fresh air etc.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm going to an amusement park this Saturday on what appears to be a double date. Your post has got me thinking about an issue I hadn't even thought of: all the time I'm going to have to fill up with small talk while waiting in line. We'll probably be there for about 6- 7 hours I would think, and the majority of that time will be waiting in line. Then there's lunch and the 1.5 drive to and from there. Dammit I hate awkward silences!

My advice for you would to just go and try and have a good time. There's no pressure for you because it's just your cousin. Me on the other hand, because I'm trying to make a good impression on the girl I like and her friend, have plenty to be anxious about.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dammit I hate awkward silences!
I've come to believe that awkwardness is all in the mind. That is to say, something's only awkward if you consider it to be so. If you decide that a pause in a conversation constitutes a Grade A emergency, then you'll feel "awkward" and uncomfortable and it'll stress you out. But if you view a few moments of silence as completely natural over a period of 7-8 hours, then there's no problem. It's all about perception. Heck, you could even intentionally stop talking to create quiet moments in your interaction, and then say to her "Why aren't you talking? You're so awkward!" If you said it with a smile and she's friendly I bet she'd laugh it up.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
I don't like going on rides alone. I don't enjoy it as much if I'm not with someone. "Happiness is best shared." I'd suggest giving it a shot and sticking with your cousin. You say you're neutral. Well, this could be a good opportunity to bump your relationship up a few notches to something in the positive.

I've gone to an amusement park three times this season with my sister. A lot of the time we don't really say anything while we're waiting in lines. Sometimes there's nothing to be said and silence is fine. We just watch the people around us.. watch the rides in sight.. watch the people coming off..

There's a LOT going on in an amusement park, so most conversation is based on what's going on around us. Also what we're going to go on next, etc..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts