Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have selective mutism, and I haven't been able to talk, at all, for 4 months. I had therapy yesterday, and my uncle (whom i live with) brought up to the psychiatrist, that he thinks i can talk perfectly fine, and that not talking is convenient for me. I hate this. I hate not being able to talk. I cant have proper relationships with anyone, because who wants to wait for me to type out things? I can join conversations, and all my friends have stopped trying to contact me, because who wants to be friends with a mute person. I cant even tell my brothers that i love them, but he thinks i like being mute. He thinks I'm doing it on purpose, and I'm not! I just wish people would realize this. I also wish people would realize, I'm not deaf, or stupid, or invisible. I am a person who just isn't able to talk, and i just want to be normal.

·
Banned
642 Posts
Went through the same thing as a teen. I was labeled as "abnormal" because I wasn't constantly running my mouth like everyone else.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have selective mutism, and I haven't been able to talk, at all, for 4 months. I had therapy yesterday, and my uncle (whom i live with) brought up to the psychiatrist, that he thinks i can talk perfectly fine, and that not talking is convenient for me. I hate this. I hate not being able to talk. I cant have proper relationships with anyone, because who wants to wait for me to type out things? I can join conversations, and all my friends have stopped trying to contact me, because who wants to be friends with a mute person. I cant even tell my brothers that i love them, but he thinks i like being mute. He thinks I'm doing it on purpose, and I'm not! I just wish people would realize this. I also wish people would realize, I'm not deaf, or stupid, or invisible. I am a person who just isn't able to talk, and i just want to be normal.
My brother thinks the exact same way! He doesn't know how much
it hurts to being not able to talk like anyone else around and the worst part is that he think I do this on purpose which isn't true! :bash
Unfortunately people would never realize the truth unless they experience this by themselves.

·
Chlorine and Wine
12,105 Posts
That's pure ignorance. SM used to be called "elective" because ignorant people like that think we make a choice. The word must be spread. Show him all the organizations or Wikipedia if you have to. Unfortunately this is still an uphill battle for us...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm pretty sure I had that while I was in kindergarten, but after my parents sent me to some kind of facility for kids with behavioural problems, I got better. Unfortunately it didn't help me to become completely SA-free and outgoing.
I can't understand why it's still generally unknown why some people develop this type of behavior:mum

1 - 5 of 5 Posts