Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Music that is sad, but somehow makes you happy

Hello, guys, it's been a while since I don't actually start a thread here, so here I am... The title is weird, yes. But, real question: what kind of music that is sad but somehow makes you happy? Or at least, better?

This reminds me of a quote by one of my favourite musicians ever, Steven Wilson: "There's a lot of beauty to be found in sadness and melancholia. One of the things that you find time and time again - not just with music, but with literature - is that things that appear to be quite depressing on the surface can ironically be very uplifting and touching to other people."

I will start with Sigur Rós, Ekki múkk. This band's music completely changed my life.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Kind of an indulgence. At times when I first encountered the song, I would play it loud and just listen to his keening emotion. Sort of reminds me of the Firefly show haha
I wish I could describe the feelings I get while listen to certain music with such details and complexity, just like you did here on this thread...

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
Yeah Sigur Ros has pretty much been making me happy w/ their sad music for nearly 20 years now. Great band.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah Sigur Ros has pretty much been making me happy w/ their sad music for nearly 20 years now. Great band.
I found out about them while watching Game of Thrones, and I am glad I did. Their music just makes me feel somewhere else and I only feel good things while listening to them

·
SAS Member
8800 blue lick road
41,964 Posts
So like bittersweet. I'll have to think about this because I think there's probably a bunch.

This is probably one of my favourites. I always end up with some tears in my eyes after listening to this one.

I saw this live in 2018. I thought it was the live debut but that was the day before so almost live debut lol (before the video got released I guess too.) I like Steven Wilson's music a lot (also music with his other bands/projects like Porcupine Tree.)

This is my favourite Porcupine Tree track I think (they have so many good ones, but this one always pops immediately to mind so.)

·
SAS Member
8800 blue lick road
41,964 Posts
This isn't that sad though, but when I first heard this and was listening to it a bunch of times it was a very emotional experience:

I prefer live versions of this (tbh live versions of a lot of his songs are better than studio for some weird reason usually it's the opposite,) when I heard it live it was one of the best live performances I've heard Ninet Tayeb is really great:

The Cure are good at this as well.

·
alien monk
8,438 Posts
pretty much all if antimatter but more planetary confinement. and cerulean salt from waxahatchee. one song by Lucinda Williams is pretty good. so is this so laid back country china track I'm listening to now

1 - 20 of 47 Posts