Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Music is so, so, so important to me. I find it really therapeutic. I spend all day hooked into my ipod. It's a little out of control!

I was wondering if y'all had any songs that you like to listen to that either soothe the savage beast or that capture that awkwardness of SA perfectly.

I have one for the later, Daniel Johnston's Etiquette. Google the lyrics. It's so perfect for my awkward-I'm-attracted-to-someone-but-can't-bare-to-look-at-them moments. Moldy Peaches' "Nothing Came Out." So spot-on it hurts. Also, hysterical lyrics.

On the more serious side, St. Elsewhere by Gnarls Barkley. Parfait! What else? Their song "Whatever" is good to listen to when I want to remind myself about how ridiculous my emo-nature can be.

Uppers--Transformer by Gnarls Barkley (wow, can you tell what I've been listening to?) Gorillaz "Rock the House." "You're so Gangsta," Chromeo. "Bird Flu," MIA.

What do you listen to that sums up SA or lifts your sagging spirit?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Songs with really ****ed up lyrics do it for me.
The Greenskeepers - Lotion
William Shatners second album
Folksy cutsy female bands that talk about sex in Seattle or HTML(The hot toddies, Lisa Hannigan, Amy LaVere, The Ditty Bops, Dressy Bessy)
Nerdcore Hip hop MC Chris, MC lars, MC Frontalot, YTcracker)
A lot of frank zappa

For some reason weird, odd, and super duper cute music settles me or lets me sorta escape from where i am.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I find that almost nothing does it like various forms of instrumental music. I like Pink Floyd a lot too but when you're already a little down, some of the lyrics can just be a little depressing.

I like instrumental Spanish guitar music a lot. I like both the slow and fast forms of it

I like Asian flutes. They can be really relaxing but if you overdo it, they tend to grate a bit.

I like piano. I pretty much exclusively like slow piano music. I prefer jazzy stuff over classical but some classical is nice (Don't know a damn thing about composers or anything though).

I find women with nice voices soothing. I often don't even think about the lyrics but many of them write their own lyrics and they're intelligent and deep lyrics.

Sometimes when I'm down, if I listen to techno/trance type stuff, it puts me in a really stable and pleasant mood. I guess that's why they call it trance.

I like a lot of top 40 radio pop from the mid 80s up into the early 90s. About the time a lot of music started sounding like Nirvana, I tuned out. I hate that sound more than anything. But then, I was never much of a fan of that sort of fast or heavy rock music.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I like all kinds of music, but will go to my game show music collection for mood lifting.
Tears For Fears and Swing Out Sister works, too :lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm always listening to music on my computer and my ipod when I travel. I use it more for relaxation than therapy, but some songs always work when I need them to.

I'm sure I've said it before on these boards but Barry Manilow is the one artist that I listen to whatever my mood. For some reason his "depressing" music has the opposite effect on me, feels like someone else knows what I'm going though. His one song that applies to SA is called All the Time.

I also like jazz music, particularly saxophone and Dave Koz. That and any other instrumental music is very relaxing.

The one song I'm really into right now is I Am One Voice by Don Eaton. Very simple but very cool. We used to sing it at camp and it was really neat to find it on iTunes.

·
Still Running
387 Posts
Norah Jones, I just emagine that she is singing to me.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I listen to music everyday sometimes all day long. My list would be too long to list here, I have over 300 different groups on my pc currently and adding new stuff all the time. Here are a few I listen to when I'm really down:

AC/DC
Ani Difranco
Bif Naked
Bjork
Crooked Fingers
Janis Joplin
Linda Perry
Sophie B. Hawkins

·
Registered
619 Posts
Five for Fighting has some really amazing songs with beautiful lyrics that make you think about life. Not to mention the stellar piano-playing! I really like The Riddle, Two Lights, and 100 Years (you've probably heard this one on the radio).

·
Registered
14 Posts
life goes on 2pac

i really love this song. it reminds me that there are many people who are going through dificulties in life and that there is always hope. im listening to it as i type actually.

Life Goes On by 2pac

·
Registered
7 Posts
I Actually feel relaxed making my own music. But I dont do this all day so it defeats the perfect. But I do feel great while doing it until my wife says that im spending to much time making music.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Jack Johnson is amazing. Not for those who can't stand chill acoustic music though.

Lucky- Seven Mary Three

For anyone who likes the show Skins, "Wild World" performed by Mike Baily from the end of season 1. I love it.

That said, most songs from Skins. The show has unique music that I just get lost in.

Lux Aeterna- the Requiem for a Dream theme. The only classical song I've ever truly liked.

this list is just a rough draft though. Songs that came off the top of my head. There are many more, better ones. I'd have to pull out my Ipod and do some searching though

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
listening to hip-hop helps me and not that b.s. on the radio. I'm talking about real hip-hop with a real message. I relate the struggle of the black man with my strugge with s.a.

·
Gentle Impulsion
7,795 Posts
I always like listening to classic rock in my car on my way somewhere, it helps me relax and let loose a little bit :).

·
Registered
928 Posts
I like every kind of music cept for metal :)...
3 amazing songs I will forever be in love with and I listen to on a daily basis..
A Change is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke
Con Te Partiro - Andrea Bocelli
Adagio for Strings - Samuel Barber

·
Registered
40 Posts
wow what a great topic.

i too find music very therapeutic.

Just a few...

Radiohead... pretty much any of their songs, but "How to Disappear Completely" is a personal favorite

Dance Gavin Dance's music kinda cheers me up because it's so upbeat and damn catchy, lol

Led Zeppelin

Pantera (when work out)

I have such a random taste in music :b

·
Registered
405 Posts
I find that my own music helps me cope. According to iTunes, I've accumulated 3.8 hours of short sketches. Filled with mistakes and off-the-shelf drums. To others' ears, it's probably 3.8 hours of insipid garbage (or even worse: just plain mediocrity), but I feel at times it's the best way to express myself.

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
I listen to music everyday sometimes all day long. My list would be too long to list here, I have over 300 different groups on my pc currently and adding new stuff all the time. Here are a few I listen to when I'm really down:

AC/DC
Ani Difranco
Bif Naked
Bjork
Crooked Fingers
Janis Joplin
Linda Perry
Sophie B. Hawkins
Totally agree with Bjork and Ani. Their music has helped me so much.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My favorite band is Say Anything and dude I am so obsessed with them, I have listened to them every day for like four years, we have gone through everything together...whenever I listen to them I am instantly calm and happy. I like other music but none makes me happy like they do...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts