Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had quite a bit of free time to listen to some music this summer vacation and I just wanted to share with you some new favorites. These aren't probably for all tastes, but some of you may find them acceptable. I'm not so good with words, so I'll just post some descriptions from Launch.com. Enjoy!

Zero 7 - The men behind U.K. soul outfit Zero 7 -- producers Henry Binns and Sam Hardaker -- launched their careers in the music industry as tea boys at a London recording studio. Soon after, however, both were in the thick of action, working alongside a string of well-known British musicians such as the Pet Shop Boys and Robert Plant. They spent the best part of the 1990s honing their production skills behind the scenes. Then, after taking on the name of a nightclub in Honduras, the duo gradually began unleashing their own ideas onto an unsuspecting public. First came a couple of remixes; Radiohead's "Climbing up the Walls" and Terry Callier's "Love Theme From Spartacus." In 1999, Zero 7 released their first EP, the suitably titled EP 1. Only a handful of copies were made and they sold out in a matter of days. A similar fate awaited their second release, EP 2. Their first album, Simple Things, came out amidst much salivating from the media in mid-01. A collection of laid-back soul, acid jazz, and funk tracks, the album carried collaborations with respected vocalists Mozez, Sia Furler, and Sophie Barker. Their sophomore effort, When It Falls, appeared in March 2004. ~ David Peter Wesolowski, All Music Guide

Thievery Corporation - Thievery Corporation make abstract, instrumental, mid-tempo dance music somewhere between trip-hop and acid jazz. The production duo of Rob Garza and Eric Hilton, Thievery Corporation released a few warmly received singles on their own Eighteenth Street Lounge (ESL) label (named for their Washington, D.C. bar and nightclub) in 1996. Previously known primarily among acid jazz and rare-groove DJs, the group shot to minor celebrity when a track from one of their early 12"'s appeared on respected DJ/producers Kruder & Dorfmeister's mix session for Studio K7's DJ Kicks series. Similar in many respects (and more than just number) to that Viennese production duo, Thievery Corporation subsequently grew in popularity among a wider audience of DJs and headphonaunts. Their debut full-length appeared in 1997, along with a compilation of Washington, D.C.-based electronica artists, Dubbed Out in DC (both on ESL). After 4AD signed the duo they began work on their second LP but were forced to postpone the release date after tapes were stolen in a mugging. The stopgap remix compilation Abductions & Reconstructions was released in 1999, and their second proper album The Mirror Conspiracy followed a year later. Their growing fame made them a natural to select tracks for the 2001 Verve compilation Sounds From the Verve Hi-Fi, and one year later, the duo returned with a third production LP, The Richest Man in Babylon. The mix album Outernational Sound and remix EP Babylon Rewound appeared in 2004. The Cosmic Game from 2005 featured guest vocalists Perry Farrell, the Flaming Lips' Wayne Coyne, and David Byrne. ~ Sean Cooper, All Music Guide

Atmosphere - Atmosphere is a hip-hop group from Minneapolis that centers around rapper Slug (aka Sean Daley). The son of a black father and a white mother who divorced when he was a teenager, Slug became entranced with hip-hop, graffiti, and breakdancing, and formed the Rhyme Sayers Collective with two high school friends -- Siddiq Ali (Stress) and Derek Turner (Spawn). After some early gigs as Urban Atmosphere, where Slug DJed behind Spawn's rhyming, the pair hooked up with producer Ant (Anthony Davis), as well as like-minded locals such as MC Musab, Mr. Gene Poole, and the Abstract Pack, forming an underground hip-hop clique dedicated to freestyling, clever and complex lyrics, and anti-gangsta positivity. In 1998, Atmosphere released its debut album, Overcast!, which quickly became regarded as an underground hip-hop classic thanks to Slug's deeply personal, poetic musings, as well as Ant's bare bones -- but inventive -- production. The next Atmosphere album was titled Sad Clown Bad Dub II, a 2000 set originally sold while the group was on tour. (Now out-of-print, it's a highly sought-after collector's item). A year later, the group released Lucy Ford: The Atmosphere EPs, a collection of three EPs built around the theme of Slug's complicated relationship with his ex-girlfriend, the lost love of his life. The group has toured consistently, both at home and overseas; while Ant usually doesn't accompany the group on the road, Mr. Dibbs of the group 1200 Hobos often joins in behind the turntables and Slug is usually assisted on the mic by young rappers like the teenaged Eyedea. In June 2002, the group -- down to the duo of Slug and Ant -- unleashed God Loves Ugly, an 18-track effort that returned to previous themes ("F*@k You Lucy"), but also contained the group's most pop-friendly single to date, "Modern Man's Hustle." In 2003, Atmosphere returned with his fourth album, Seven's Travels. ~ Dan LeRoy, All Music Guide

·
Registered
71 Posts
ooh! I've heard of Atmosphere! I heard a couple of their songs and I really love them. I don't listen to a lot of hiphop, but I really really love stuff like that. I'm a sucker for good lyrics, and their lyrics are really great.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lyrics are quite appealing, I agree. Probably my favorite song of theirs lyrics wise is scapegoat. They are from Minnesota (like me!) and it's kind of neat to hear them mention street names and area codes that I'm familiar with. Here are some songs of their I am particularly fond of:
  • Party for the Fight to Write
    Love life
    The Bass and the Movement
    Bird Sings Why The Caged I Know
    Flesh
    Godlovesugly
    National Disgrace (This song is just funny)
    Shrapnel

·
Registered
742 Posts
Cait if you like a bit of hip hop lyrics listen to k-os or listen to sweatshop union from vancouver, bc ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I also like k-os! I've heard of sweatshop union, but I am not familiar with the music. I'd probably know it if I heard it though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts