Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking lately that I may just have generalized anxiety or multiple anxieties in addition to the social anxiety.

I hadn't thought of selective mutism or looked what it means, but I think I do have it. When I was in school I had trouble talking to other classmates at times, but I could talk to my parents, grandparents or other adults until they would tell me to stop talking. But around other kids I just had trouble.

In college it got reasonably better. And at my first job I had no trouble talking to people or going up to them to start conversations.

At the job I'm at now it wasn't so bad at first. But anymore I have trouble talking to people other than my supervisors or other management. And even then I have troubles or try to avoid it. I used to be able to say hello to people in passing but now I had trouble with even that the last few years and I just try not to make eye contact. However, if people speak to me first, then I always respond because I do not want to be rude or seen as rude. But I just cannot hold conversations well. Even if we go to restaurants I barely speak if at all to anyone unless they directly speak to me.

I also think much of my anxiety comes from work. It was the same with school, I always wanted my work to be perfect and I stressed and was upset with things that gave me trouble, particularly any math courses and when I'd do poorly on a quiz or test I'd get depressed and couldn't think about anything fun for days. If I did anything to relax or have fun I'd feel guilty over it because I felt I wasn't giving my classwork or studying my all.

Now it seems to be the same with my job, and it always has been. I suppose in a way it is good to want to excel at work and give it your all and maybe at times know and consider where you need to improve. But I think when it affects other areas of your life, like limiting your ability to socialize, your hobbies or inability to relax, either out of guilt, fear or worrying about the future, I think it's a sign that something is wrong.

Maybe I'm incorrect here, but it does seem that there is some disconnect or OCD in my mind about this. Because I'm unable to relax and enjoy the present like others are. I'm sure others struggles here and there, but it just seems to me I scrutinize my every action and thought far more than most people do.

I come home from work and have trouble relaxing or getting my mind off, all I can think of is the next day. And with weekends I constantly worry what might happen the next week at work or I obsess over something I did or didn't do the week before and worry what will come of it next.

Is there any way to get relief over all these anxieties? It seems my family always just told me to deal with it and that I needed to relax and stop worrying so much. I guess they think I'm just crazy. But OTOH it seems as if therapy or counseling is out of the question or just a waste of money in their opinion. I do believe that this way of living and thinking and OCD is unhealthy and I wish there was a way to improve my life. Because I'd really like to be able to live more and worry less about what's around the corner. It does not seem like life is supposed to be this way all the time. I realize this can be healthy or necessary at times, but for me it seems to dominate my life as far as I can remember looking back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been thinking lately that I may just have generalized anxiety or multiple anxieties in addition to the social anxiety.

I hadn't thought of selective mutism or looked what it means, but I think I do have it. When I was in school I had trouble talking to other classmates at times, but I could talk to my parents, grandparents or other adults until they would tell me to stop talking. But around other kids I just had trouble.

In college it got reasonably better. And at my first job I had no trouble talking to people or going up to them to start conversations.

At the job I'm at now it wasn't so bad at first. But anymore I have trouble talking to people other than my supervisors or other management. And even then I have troubles or try to avoid it. I used to be able to say hello to people in passing but now I had trouble with even that the last few years and I just try not to make eye contact. However, if people speak to me first, then I always respond because I do not want to be rude or seen as rude. But I just cannot hold conversations well. Even if we go to restaurants I barely speak if at all to anyone unless they directly speak to me.

I also think much of my anxiety comes from work. It was the same with school, I always wanted my work to be perfect and I stressed and was upset with things that gave me trouble, particularly any math courses and when I'd do poorly on a quiz or test I'd get depressed and couldn't think about anything fun for days. If I did anything to relax or have fun I'd feel guilty over it because I felt I wasn't giving my classwork or studying my all.

Now it seems to be the same with my job, and it always has been. I suppose in a way it is good to want to excel at work and give it your all and maybe at times know and consider where you need to improve. But I think when it affects other areas of your life, like limiting your ability to socialize, your hobbies or inability to relax, either out of guilt, fear or worrying about the future, I think it's a sign that something is wrong.

Maybe I'm incorrect here, but it does seem that there is some disconnect or OCD in my mind about this. Because I'm unable to relax and enjoy the present like others are. I'm sure others struggles here and there, but it just seems to me I scrutinize my every action and thought far more than most people do.

I come home from work and have trouble relaxing or getting my mind off, all I can think of is the next day. And with weekends I constantly worry what might happen the next week at work or I obsess over something I did or didn't do the week before and worry what will come of it next.

Is there any way to get relief over all these anxieties? It seems my family always just told me to deal with it and that I needed to relax and stop worrying so much. I guess they think I'm just crazy. But OTOH it seems as if therapy or counseling is out of the question or just a waste of money in their opinion. I do believe that this way of living and thinking and OCD is unhealthy and I wish there was a way to improve my life. Because I'd really like to be able to live more and worry less about what's around the corner. It does not seem like life is supposed to be this way all the time. I realize this can be healthy or necessary at times, but for me it seems to dominate my life as far as I can remember looking back.
What you are going through is very difficult. SAD usually does not start when we meet people. When we expect to look silly or be judged by others, we are usually prepared for that all the time, and in between events we think negative thoughts and expectations. I think you can attack this kind of negative thoughts and expectations and see if Cognitive therapy helps you.

I believe SAD hardly comes alone - as there are multiple processes affected by anxiety within the body. So your feeling about multiple anxieties is probably right. But that also means that there are multiple ways to reduce each anxiety. Personally I prefer using rational thinking methods, eat healthy diet, and do some physical activity. Yoga and meditation is very helpful, as well as relaxing the muscles and the body in various ways.

Hope you get better soon

·
Registered
Upset
23 Posts
Hi, speaking from my own personal viewpoint, I have other anxieties as well as possible social anxiety.

Health anxiety, general anxiety, stage fright, some phobias as well. I also went through post-traumatic stress (bullying and sexual assault)

On top of that I suffer from hypothyroidism and apparently that can coincide with social anxiety disorder so...who knows with me? Haha. I feel like a freak of nature most of the time! x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts