Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If all you have is the MP3 file, then no... a legal MP3 file can be byte-for-byte identical to a pirated one.

But, if you have a sales receipt from an online MP3 store or something like it, then it's covered indirectly.

-Ryan

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see... What about for example when you check the file info in Winamp, where it says "Original yes/no"? Thanks :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Poeme said:
I see... What about for example when you check the file info in Winamp, where it says "Original yes/no"? Thanks :)
The "Original yes/no" tag can be set when ripping a CD, so anyone can set it.

The best bet is if the legal mp3 service has left their company name in the Comments tag inside the mp3 file, though even that could be edited out by someone else.

·
Registered
435 Posts
yeah mp3 has no drm... the ones you get from itunes and such, however, do... but they're not mp3s :) mp3 is a (mostly) open format. all hail!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
sadpanda said:
mp3 is a (mostly) open format.
Not really, MP3 is owned by Fraunhofer Institute and Thomson Multimedia of Germany. Most free MP3 encoders and players are illegal--player and encoder vendors are supposed to pay them licensing fees. MP3 is only popular because it has no DRM (anti-copying) features.

If you're interested in a truly open format, look up the badly-named "Ogg Vorbis" format.

-Ryan

·
Registered
435 Posts
yeah that's why i said "mostly"... i know the actual technology isn't open. but for all intents and purposes it may as well be, the way people treat it lol... i also mostly meant from a drm standpoint. ogg would be awesome if anyone would start supporting... very few electronics support it :\ and now that drm is rolling in, ogg is either going to have to play along, or give up :(

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm the evil used to gain more control over digital files than possible with physical cds. Thereby pissing of your customers and gaining nothing. :p

·
Comfortably Numb
347 Posts
sadpanda said:
yeah mp3 has no drm... the ones you get from itunes and such, however, do... but they're not mp3s :) mp3 is a (mostly) open format. all hail!
Itunes is protected but even itunes music can be easily unlocked. :b

1 - 12 of 12 Posts