Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it looks like my boyfriend and I will be moving to the Bay Area by the end of this year, or early next year. His graduate school program is based there, and we're suffocating a little where we're at right now. I've never even been to California, and my bf has only been to the area around SFO and Millbrae. We're looking to travel down there next month to check it out. From some brief searches, Marin and Sonoma counties look nice, and close to the city without being too urban. I'm not in the tech field (thankfully), or else I'd probably be all over Silicon Valley.

I'd really like the opinions of my fellow SAS members who live in the Bay Area, just to get some personal opinions that aren't ones I find in online searches. Any places you'd recommend we check out? Avoid? Any really rich areas that average-income 20-somethings should avoid? Any info will probably be helpful!

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
My friend lives in Sonoma. I am supposed to be moving out there but I don't want to now. It's really nice there and the town she lives in isn't too pricey compared to others. You might find a deal in a place like Santa Rosa. There's a lot of 20-somethings there.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
I can come visit?? *puppy dog eyes*

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My friend lives in Sonoma. I am supposed to be moving out there but I don't want to now. It's really nice there and the town she lives in isn't too pricey compared to others. You might find a deal in a place like Santa Rosa. There's a lot of 20-somethings there.
Good to hear! I liked looks of Santa Rosa. Sonoma as well, but it's much smaller. But we'll definitely be checking both out.

And, of course you can visit, Kelly! Flying to there versus Alaska will be a hell of a lot cheaper. Alaska Airlines rapes all of its residents and most of its visitors.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Good to hear! I liked looks of Santa Rosa. Sonoma as well, but it's much smaller. But we'll definitely be checking both out.

And, of course you can visit, Kelly! Flying to there versus Alaska will be a hell of a lot cheaper. Alaska Airlines rapes all of its residents and most of its visitors.
I don't know anything about Sonoma the town. I guess it's the capital of Sonoma County. I am really only familiar with western Sonoma County and I like it for the most part. I've been to Sebastopol, Rohnert Part, Healdsburg, Windsor and some other places. They all seem to connect to each other via long roads as compared to here where each town is a mile wide, so even if they are technically close it's still easier to have a car, which I don't and never will. That whole west coast transition would be tough for me. The cool nights during the summer would take getting used to. It's just kind of overly mild even though it's fairly comfortable during the winter. I guess beggars can't be choosers. At least it's not Alaska.

·
📝📸🎬💾🎲&#991
6,584 Posts
I don't live in the bay area, but I've spent my life fairly near it and drive through from time to time, and my grandparents live in Vallejo (Solano county).

The north bay areas like Marin and Sonoma counties tend to be smallish towns with lots of open land and hills around them. The peninsula and south bay are more metropolis, though they have their share of parks. East bay has cities on the inner edge and parks and open lands in the hills to the east.

I don't recall if I've been to Santa Rosa. It'd be a very long commute from there to a job in S.F. though, especially on bad traffic days. Despite the relatively low population, since everybody up there there commutes to S.F. along highway 101 it can get really busy -- I recall being stuck in some traffic jams on 101 in Marin county, which you'd have to pass through.

I don't think Napa county has been mentioned. It's basically wineries and rolling hills with small towns.

All of these places so far mentioned are likely to be really expensive (even Santa Rosa). For something cheaper, some little west valley towns like Fairfield, Vacaville and Davis should be more affordable and would be at least an easier commute to S.F. than Santa Rosa is.

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To clarify, I really don't have any interest in getting a job in SF and commuting. I'm from Boston, so I know all about those kinds of horrors. I'd want a job around close to wherever we settle. A town or two over, but definitely one that does not involve a hair-pulling commute. As for my bf, his program is mostly distance education, except for two week-long conferences twice a year. He'd only have to go to SF itself then. He's already been to two of them and the airfare combined with the hotel rate is well over $1,000 per trip.

I'm looking to stay away from high density areas. I believe Massachusetts is the third most population dense state, and it was really unpleasant at times. So living away from the actual urban areas and being an hour or so drive from them would be nice.

As for prices, I'd wondering what everyone considers expensive? We're currently paying $935/mo for a one bedroom apartment here in Alaska, and paid $1,675/mo for a one bedroom apartment in Boston. I checked out some complexes in the Santa Rosa and some other places just to see what the prices were like, and there were some decent ones for under $1,000, and some were also pet-friendly. And that's a plus considering we have a small menagerie and there is almost no pet-friendly housing here. It's insane.

Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming! :)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'm from KY and live at home, but I looked at pricing out of curiosity of the cost of living if I am ever on my own someday and 500-700 could get you a 2 bedroom apartment, I looked at TN to and I saw 2 bedroom for 450. So for $1000 and up I would say not unless its a 2 story house with a basement, but that's the cost of living down here apparently. Shame Alaska seems a high cost place to live, I've always thought of it as one of the places I would like to live for some reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts