Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am terrified of moving out. Actually I am terrified of telling my parents that I am moving out. I try not to deliberately hurt people because I am so exquisitely sensitive to any slight I try not to do that to others. And this is my PARENTS. And I am their baby girl. I don't know if I can handle seeing them that sad. They are also really religious and I am an atheist which freaks my mom out to no end. She thinks I am going to end up in some kind of harvey-milk-castro-street-era commune drunk, on drugs and most likely pregnant. (LOVE Harvey Milk btw). Now if you knew my nerdy self really well you would know how ridiculous this is. But really, I am 26 and I think its time. How did you guys handle it?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just do it. You can't live your life for your parents. If you do, you'll be miserable and your relationship with them will suffer because you'll resent them. :blank

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
You just have to tell them- they should understand, I mean they shouldn't expect you to live at home forever, right? I would just make sure you have enough money and resources to support yourself first though to make sure they don't worry so much about you, if that is one thing you are worried about.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm 25 and am sort of dealing with the same thing right now. My parents aren't religious or anything, but I don't know how to talk to them about it. I guess I've got time to think about it though, as I haven't figured out where to move to yet. I just know that I want to move out of state.

Funny you should mention Harvey Milk, cause I would love to move to San Francisco. Too damn expensive though.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I can relate.

I'm 25, my parents are religious, I'm agnostic. They would expect me to move out after I get married.

However, I'm not looking to moving out yet. I don't want to live on my own, can't afford it and don't see how that would improve my SA.

Ideal scenario for me to find a girl I like and move out with her...eh, wishful thinking....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts