·
Banned
3,781 Posts
Dang, I wanted to read it.

·
Live. Laugh. Learn
4,101 Posts
Thailand: First 8 and a half years of my life
New York(Upstate): 8-10 years old(1st and 2nd Grade)
Mobile, Alabama: summer of 1992
Boston: 10-11 years old(3rd and 4th Grade)
New York(Upstate): 12-15 years old(5th Grade, Junior High/Middle School, Freshman year HS)
North Carolina: 15-17 years old(Freshman year to Junior year of HS)

Been living in Western Mass since 18, where I also got my GED.

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
My family moved a lot because my dad started going to college when I was 3 years old (he was 29) and when he finished we moved to the first place he found a job. We lived in Marin county, CA, where my mom is from and where my dad lived for over 13 years (0-5 year old), then Santa Cruz (5-7 years old), then Bellingham, WA (7-9 years old), and finally Los Angeles (9-19 years old). Actually lived in 3 different parts of LA. I think I liked Santa Cruz the most cause we lived in student housing for married students, so there were tons of other little turds for me to hang out with. I never made much friends after that, so I didn't really care that we moved.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
I went to 5 different elementary schools before I was in grade 2 + 1 more after grade 2 and 2 high schools, having moved before my first year of high school started and my last year of high school started, finishing high school knowing virtually no one from the new school. Then came college where I dropped out of the first program I took then went back 2 years later and graduated in a totally different program.

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dang, I wanted to read it.
Thank you.

I just said something to the effect of what the replies have been (about moving too much when young and never feeling at ease). Have a lot of sleep problems and often wake up remembering old places/people.

If I were to be objective, life is better today (was a welfare outcast back when young) so I shouldn't reminisce too much about how supposedly my youth was better.

Partly deleted because I need to value the present (hopefully we'll all remain friends around here for future years), and I'll stop moping about the past.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
Lived in the same house all my life :blank

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
the other day my mother and I calculated that we moved 17 times during my growing up, right up until my first year or so of high school. I definitely think it had an effect on me, combined with the atmosphere I grew up in. the quality of support and attention your parents give you matters too. it could mitigate any negative effect moving around so much can have. I think it would have been easier for me had I had that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Currently at the age of 16 i have moved from
South Africa
to america
to England
to Cyprus
to Israel
back to England
and then back to South Africa
i have attended 26 different schools because of this
and literally have made a figure 8 around the world
so i am asking honestly have i moved to much i believe i have but i need someone else opinion if someone can get back to me thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Currently at the age of 16 i have moved from
South Africa
to america
to England
to Cyprus
to Israel
back to England
and then back to South Africa
i have attended 26 different schools because of this
and literally have made a figure 8 around the world
so i am asking honestly have i moved to much i believe i have but i need someone else opinion if someone can get back to me thank you
not to mention the moving in the countries themselves :/

·
Banned
3,670 Posts
I was born in India, but never lived there. I went to Saudi Arabia, then Canada, then Saudi Arabia again (different city) and then Houston, Texas. Then here, I also moved around three times total. I haven't moved since age 12, so 13 years now in the same place. But all those times to move around, lose my friends I'd make, go to a new school and face bullying and ostracism from being the new kid, etc. it was all incredibly traumatic and painful for me.

I believe that was a or THE root cause of my SA, depression, etc. I probably got worried that if I made friends again, we'd just have to pack up and move so I suppose I just gave up and become isolated in my home instead, watching everyone else move on ahead without me.

·
By Shay
35 Posts
Not everyone gets out of abusive homes unscratched. Few if any completely overcomes it. All we can do is keep trying to let go of the pain, and relearn skills and thought-patterns that were made dysfunctional. It's ok to be a bit crazy, as long as you're trying to work through it.

We're all selfish creatures to a point. It is good that you've come to realize your flaws, but don't forget your strengths. I want to say it's not to late to ask forgiveness, but I don't know your entire situation. But perhaps you should apologize for your own peace of mind, if nothing else. People crave to be understood. Especially when they've been hurt. It means a whole lot to know the person who hurt you does understand what they did, and delivers a genuine apology without expecting anything in return.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts