Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working at the same part-time job for the past three years while going to school. Now I'm out of school, and there's an opening for assistant manager in my department, but I've been hesitant to accept it. Being there so long puts me directly in line for the job so I'd just have to basically accept it. Everyone there expects me to do so.

I never liked the place much, but I could really use the money. I never saw myself working at this job for so long or ever becoming manager. I feel like if I accept the position, I'd be giving up on what I went to school for. My worst fears would be coming true.

Should I accept the position or stay where I'm at?

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
I say take the position. It's not like you have to stay at that place forever so you can still pursue what you went to school for. And management experience is probably useful for when you do change careers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would probably be hard to find much else because of the market, and management experience of any kind would look good on a resume. I just never imagined we'd be in a recession when I started college seven years ago.

·
Registered
159 Posts
One time I took a promotion and this caused me to leave the company 6 months later because I didn't like my new job. I think if you know you won't like it just stay in the position you have now. Just because they expect you to take it doesn't mean there will be negative effects if you don't. You'll probably simply surprise them when they find out that's not the road you want to go down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts