Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice. So about a year ago I moved down here to Virginia from Pennsylvania because of a good job I was offered. It worked out great because my best friend from college lives here and has his own house, so I just pay him rent every month. But a few months ago he took a new job and is going to be deployed overseas for up to 18 months at a time. He says I can continue to live here as long as I get two roommates. Either that, or I move out on my own.

I don't know what to do! The only friends I've made down here are through my best friend and I have a feeling once he goes I'll barely ever see them. I was thinking if I got some roommates I could make friends with them, and make friends with their friends. Of course this could completely backfire and I could get stuck with two people I can't stand and just be stuck up in my room all day and night. I can always just find a place to live on craigslist and go live by myself but I know what will happen...nothing. I'll just go through my daily routine like I always do and not do anything fun or meet new people. I'll just get up, go to work, come home, go on the internet/tv, then go to bed. I can't do that anymore!!! I need to live!

Looks like I pretty much answered my own question; guess I'm getting some roommates. I'm a 27 y/o single guy. Should I look for female or male roommates? I live close to major university so I bet I could get some young college girls living here which could be pretty awesome or pretty anxiety inducing! So what do you guys think? Do you think getting roomies is a good idea?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update for anyone who cares: I have two girls my age stopping by to check out the place on Thurs. It's not that I'm planning on the possibility of hooking up with them, more of the hope that they'll have friends that'll come over, party or whatever, and I'll possibly make some new friends that way. What I really want is a girlfriend. I feel like until I have a girl in my life again, I'll always feel like something is missing.

My best friend has been gone for two weeks now, and I must say, I've been handling it fine. His friends must like me because they actually call me to hang out. It's still a bit awkward when I do because they've all been friends since high school and I almost feel like an intruder to their circle of friends. IDK, that's probably just the irrational SA thoughts talking. So yeah, I'm pretty friggin' proud of myself lately. I had the balls to move down here, start a new job, make new friends, and now I'm going to live with two completely random strangers. BUT, if it weren't for my friend who provided everything I wouldn't have been able to do it. I don't know how some single people just pick up their lives and move across the country for work, leisure, whatever and are perfectly comfortable with it. Once I settle somewhere, I like to stay put.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Don't confuse getting roommates with getting sex. If you do you are in for BIG trouble.

Keep it on strictly a space sharing basis. {I used to work in the roommate match business and I have heard it all.}

Never share phone expenses. You will always get screwed eventually.

Keep it platonic. :yes

Make all the financial aggreements BEFORE they move in.

Let them know what is strictly Off Limits.

Also make sure they understand what the household responsibilities are ahead of time so there are no surprizes. Living with a SLOB is no fun for anyone. :mum

Do a background check on them BEFORE you agree to anything. It'll cost you $50. but it's worth it. www.zaba.com

Get at least 2 personal references, not relatives, and an employment reference.

Ask them why they are moving out of where they are now. And check THAT out.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
the probabilities of getting laid go through the roof when living with females.
_

"my life is a jigsaw puzzle, with some pieces missing" - mrfixit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, good advice. I'll check out that website. I worked with the last girl I went out with and that ended HORRIBLY. In fact, that experience lead me to finding a new job and moving down here! I can't imagine getting involved with someone I was living with. Thing is, I'm a renter myself. I live in my friends house and he's in Korea, so I'm kinda acting like a property manager for him. If issues come up with them, at least monetary issues, he's going to have to be the one to deal with it. Man, this should be interesting...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Inspiring but WRONG!!!! :afr

I was thinking if I got some roommates I could make friends with them, and make friends with their friends. Of course this could completely backfire and I could get stuck with two people I can't stand and just be stuck up in my room all day and night.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've never had a good experience with roommates. Even when I moved in with three of my best friends for the summer, they were really getting on my nerves by the end (and I'm sure it was mutual sometimes). I hate how expensive it is to live alone, but I have to for my own sanity.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I will never, ever have roommates. They're still looking out for themselves and only themselves. You don't know when they are going to move out and leave you hanging, or worse, live there and not be able to pay their share of the bills.

Not worth it.

·
:No Worries:
182 Posts
That's a tough one, I would think exposure is great but with anything like that you need down time to recharge. Being stuck with other people 24/7 like that I would think would wear you down and make you edgy. At least it would me anyways. When I moved out I made sure I had my own place, that way I could relax when I wanted and how I wanted. Plus your not relying on other people to hold up their end of the rent, utilities and keeping the place in good shape / clean.

But to each there own, if you do it good luck. Girls can be super annoying! :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't see why I'm wrong...I'm just hoping they bring their single friends over.
You can choose your own friends. Hoping to get spill-over from other people is just wrong-headed thinking. :afr That is kind of sad. I wouldn't do it. What if you don't like any of them? You have to put up with them IN your house. No, sorry, just a bad idea.:um Plus, the more people they drag in, your stuff is at risk by being broken or stolen. People don't respect other people's property. More messes you have to deal with if your roommates don't watch them or clean up after them. :no

I'm telling you man, keep it simple. :yes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts