1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
364 Posts
To look good for a member of the opposite sex tends to work. The more relaxed and mentally healthy you are the easier it is to lose wait. I find that if I meditate and stay off the computer and just try to relax dieting and exercising becomes easy. Avoid things that make you depressed or anxious.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Don't focus on losing weight. that will set your minds on immediate gains and you will be disappointed at the lack of quick results. Its really a mind game with yourself. try out different thoughts and see what gets you into it. For me, I think of it as a challenge to see how much i can lift. If not that, I think of it just as a chore. Trust me when i say it gets easier after the first week. and not just easier physically, i mean easier to get up and go.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Finding a cardio exercise that is right for you is integral.

For me, its the walking with interval training and elliptical that works well. Exercise is essential to the body; one can lose weight without exercise but WITH exercise is the healthy way. Long brisk walks can be cardio, running, jogging, aerobic classes, spinning etc. Find a cardio based exercise YOU like. :)

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
I usually work out right after breakfast and enjoy the natural high that comes from the food and exercise. It comes on fairly quickly after working out, so it's kind of like taking a pill and knowing it's going to give you a good feeling in 30 minutes or so.

I've read before about how it's easier to do something if there is an immediate benefit, so it might be better to focus on that high rather then something far off in the future. I've also heard that you end up getting better results if you start exercising as a lifestyle change rather then to lose a certain amount of pounds.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Ideally, it should be fun. I play tennis occasionally but it is hard to find people to play with and there is also the anxiety issue.

While some people enjoy leisurely walks, I like a more intense cardio workout. If I exercise enough to where I feel it in the chest, then I can get a bit of a "high" off of it. Just my opinion, but I think exercise is more rewarding if you really get your heart up just a bit above the fat-burning level. Having a gym membership is nice. I just do the elliptical every day for 20-30 minutes, long enough so that I feel like I've accomplished something, but not so much that I'm fatigued and don't want to go back the next day.

If you don't have a membership, you can run outside, or find a bike path (some people enjoy biking). I have anxiety issues with exercising outdoors, not sure about you. You can do aerobics tapes at home if your into that (not my thing, but my mom enjoys it). My sister likes to take kickboxing classes (but again, there may be the anxiety issue). Worst comes to worst, you can always run up and down the stairs, or do a lot of jumping jacks. That way you don't have the excuse that you don't want to leave the house.

Do it to make yourself feel better, not to lose weight and then you will be more motivated.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I agree with all the responses. Need cardio with intervals of high intensity, REAL HIGH INTENSITY, alternated with lower interval. My gym had classes called Hi-Lo or high-impact/low-impact. You can add medium in there or 4 levels even, and vary the times.
Here's something I wrote off the top of my head, but you can do whatever works for you.

low 5 minutes
medium 5
high 2
low 5 or stop 3 minutes
medium 3
high 3
medium 2
high 1
low 5 or stop 3 minutes
high 5
low 4 or stop 3 minutes
high 5
low 5

see you can make them up, but you need some high intensity intervals where you are sure you want to throw up but don't, that's when you are in shape though enough, and haven't eaten recently and don't hurt your joints in the process etc.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Skating is fun, biking is fun too because the intervals when you stop, you are still gliding and moving where as with many other exercises you stop. You can also do intervals are fun outside when you count steps or breaths or distance markers instead of time minutes, like with running/walking. Or when listening to music.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The thing that motivates me (though I'm still highly unmotivated) is that I'll be in better mental health the next day if I'm going to be somewhere stressful. Exercise definitely helps me function better mentally.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've found that trying to motivate and get into it is counterproductive.

Everytime I get in shape or lose weight it's because of doing easy exercises regularly.

Everytime I gain weight and get out of shape it's because I'm trying too hard and give up--plus injuries from getting too much into it. Then you have to wait for it to heal up.

The best advice I can give is to make it really simple and easy.

Even if it seems really really stupid easy. Just do the exercise until it no longer feels easy. Just as you start to get tired or feel some pain, stop and quit.

This is really important because your brain will associate the activity as something easy instead of difficult and painful (and thus it wants to avoid).

And if it feels easy, you just do it. It doesn't feel like you're fighting the clock for minutes and you don't need any motivation whatsoever.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Getting started is the hardest part. Once you start and witness how good it feels to exercise regularly, you won't ever want to stop. When you do stop, you start to feel like crap (it is that way for me).

Don't try to do too much at first. That is enough to make anyone get discouraged and lose motivation. Take small/manageable steps each time. You have plenty of time to get healthy. "Progress not perfection is what counts." (i heard that quote somewhere)

I exercise regularly but still don't always eat right and have trouble with overeating. Therefore, I'm about 11 kg overweight. I would be a lot more than 11 kg overweight if I didn't exercise. Because first of all, the time I spend exercising is less time I can spend eating. Second, I lift weights or do some form of strength training (it doesn't make women bulky..that is a misconception) which helps raise my metabolism, even while at rest. :yes

·
Banned
728 Posts
I started working out 2 years ago.

At first I had to find ways to motivate myself to go. But after a certain time I got into a routine it became almost natural to go. If I would miss workouts, I would actually feel bad about it. It's like you crave that adrenaline rush.

Another reason why I kept the motivation so long is because of results. When you see the benefits of work out, either if it's for loss of weight, muscle gain or cardio/endurance...it pushes you to continue.

And there is a feeling you have when you leave the gym and are done with your workout...hard to describe the feeling, it's both physical and mental. I just love it when I leave the gym after a good workout, the feeling is great.

·
Registered
706 Posts
How do people do it? What do you do to make exercise a 'fun' thing, rather than a painful effort?
I need to loose 30kgs, I hate being overweight and I know I need to loose it. Ive been saying now for 2 years, I'm going to loose it. But its been 2 years of just talk and no action! Ive lost alot of weight before, so I know I CAN do it. I just wish I had the energy I had then.
I smoke aswell and I dont see myself quitting in the near future. I smoked back then too and still managed to walk/run 4 - 5 kms a day.
Don't suppose martial arts and/or boxing would interest you!? They can be great fun!?

·
Registered
591 Posts
i have the opposite problem. i workout because i dont want to get too skinny. i hated being called "anorexic" growing up, so, in order to keep the pounds on, i pump iron. I tell myself what i tell my son in certain situations... "it's not a choice" ... just like drinking water daily is not a choice (technically it is, but what happens if you make the "wrong" choice? you suffer unwanted consequences)
hope that helps

·
Banned
497 Posts
How do people do it? What do you do to make exercise a 'fun' thing, rather than a painful effort?
I need to loose 30kgs, I hate being overweight and I know I need to loose it. Ive been saying now for 2 years, I'm going to loose it. But its been 2 years of just talk and no action! Ive lost alot of weight before, so I know I CAN do it. I just wish I had the energy I had then.
I smoke aswell and I dont see myself quitting in the near future. I smoked back then too and still managed to walk/run 4 - 5 kms a day.
thinkrightnow's ''i love exercising now'' cd can make anyone enjoy exercise

www.thinkrightnow.com

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
The gym where I exercise has a picture on the wall of a fat guy eating a cheeseburger and it says "Do you want to become like him?"---- this motivates me, lol.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thankyou so much for all your replies. Being overweight and feeling so sluggish all the time is driving me mad. I should really join the gym again. I joined 2 years ago and found the benefits of having a 'trainer' and the right machines helpful. Cardio was my fave.
Even though I love the outdoors, I get agoraphobic. I think Ill just have to start at one step at a time. I miss going for long walks. :(

·
Registered
706 Posts
Thankyou so much for all your replies. Being overweight and feeling so sluggish all the time is driving me mad. I should really join the gym again. I joined 2 years ago and found the benefits of having a 'trainer' and the right machines helpful. Cardio was my fave.
Even though I love the outdoors, I get agoraphobic. I think Ill just have to start at one step at a time. I miss going for long walks. :(
What about doing something like dance or something you know you'll enjoy?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

1 - 20 of 38 Posts