Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Have you suffered from Motion Sickness,Dizziness,Vertigo?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever suffered from Motion Sickness,Dizziness,Vertigo? I'm talking about more than just a one time occurrence. With the dizziness and vertigo I mean when the cause was not obvious. Descriptions below taken from
http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/balance/dizziness.cfm

What Is Dizziness?
Some people describe a balance problem by saying they feel dizzy, lightheaded, unsteady, or giddy. This feeling of imbalance or disequilibrium, without a sensation of turning or spinning, is sometimes due to an inner ear problem.

What Is Vertigo?
A few people describe their balance problem by using the word vertigo, which comes from the Latin verb "to turn". They often say that they or their surroundings are turning or spinning. Vertigo is frequently due to an inner ear problem.

What Is Motion Sickness And Sea Sickness?
Some people experience nausea and even vomiting when riding in an airplane, automobile, or amusement park ride, and this is called motion sickness. Many people experience motion sickness when riding on a boat or ship, and this is called seasickness even though it is the same disorder.

Motion sickness or seasickness is usually just a minor annoyance and does not signify any serious medical illness, but some travelers are incapacitated by it, and a few even suffer symptoms for a few days after the trip.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I always get motion sickness when I'm going in circles like the rides at the amusement parks, I also cant spin on a chair.

Another thing I have is magnet sensitivity, I cant be near anything magnetic or I get really sick.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I can get car sick really bad, as a child i got it all the time, but its since gotten better. I'm pretty sure i've experienced vertigo a few times as well. I'm a pretty mentally unbalanced person :)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always used to have the motion sickness, as a child I could never read anything while riding in a car without getting nauseous. I think I had a couple episodes of vertigo several years back. I don't know about now, I have been doing some things to improve the functioning of my vestibular system. If your CVS is poorly functioning I think you usually end up compensating for it by using vision and concentration which I guess only masks the problem. It's kind of hard to explain but I think improving my CVS has helped my SA. I just naturally feel more stable and self-assured, less self-conscious maybe. In social situations and I've noticed I'm more comfortable driving in traffic on the interstate at high speeds passing vehicles etc.

I read were there is some correlation between inner ear problems and anxiety and allergies and anxiety and allergies and inner ear problems so I was curious. Not many votes so far, it will be interesting to see what the results are with a lot more votes. It would really be interesting to know how many people without anxiety problems who are really self-assured have ever had motion sickness or vertigo. I think if you are born with or for some reason your CVS system has been damaged and doesn't function as well as it should you are bound to be less self-assured and more stressed out in social situations and you would not be aware of the reason why. Anyone with a poorly functioning CVS is at a distinct disadvantage to people who don't have that problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts