Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the language. I already posted complaints like this one in the past but today I almost lost it. I need to vent and having sa means not having alot of friends to vent to (sad, i know). So here it is:
I've been cleaning glassware for almost 2 weeks now. I have a b.s. in chemistry and am far more capable than washing dishes. My job is really boring and repetitive and my coworkers are pretty boring/annoying. I was tearing up and also mumbling curse words today at work because I got so fed up with this gig. I know it's hard times and having a job is supposed to be a blessing but I feel like it's a curse right now. I am planning on changing fields but still need to make money. I don't know how much longer I can keep my sanity while working here.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Yeah I kind of know what you mean. I have a Bachelors degree and my main job duty was filling the coffee machine and picking up after people that were too lazy to keep the office neat on their own. I didn't really complain though. I did it for 2.5 years until they finally laid me off last month.

But yeah, there were some days where I'd wake up feeling angry that this was the best I could do, despite my education level. But that's what happens when you have no friends to network with and nobody in the workplace takes you seriously because you hardly ever talk.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I know how you feel, I have a degree in accounting & finance, but have always worked in factories since leaving university. I just didn't have a clue how to go about carrying on in the field my degree is in, so I took a job in a factory as I thought there wouldn't be any pressure on me in this sort of job.

I do get really frustrated at work as I know that I could and should be in a much better paid job than this, but I can't see me ever doing anything about it.

Another thing is i've always got jobs through people I knew at the time and so haven't ever had to go through a job interview, but I don't really know anyone now so I haven't a clue what i'll do if I ever get let go.

Do any of you ever tell people at work you have a degree or do you keep it to yourself? I didn't tell anyone for 9 years as I thought they'd start asking me why I don't use it, and i'd feel really embarrassed, but I finally told someone at work a couple of months ago and she was cool about it (we've worked quite close together for the last four years and she knows exactly what i'm like, so I don't really think she was that surprised when I told her). Its a great relief to me that someone else knows about it, but I don't think I could tell anyone else at work as I don't think they'd be as understanding as to why I work there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have any of you considered going back to school and getting a degree in something else? I feel like i wasted 4 years in something i have come to hate. I'm thinking of every way possible to get back to school.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts