Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Prince Procrastinator
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I'm mentally improving on social conversations. I can continue and initiate conversations, and I'm not afraid to talk to people. It's not like I'm not anxious and shy anymore but it's not the fear I used to have. Lately the physical side of SA is bothering me the most. No matter how confident I am or think I am, when I am around people, I sweat, turn red and get a shaky voice.

Maybe because my SA shows itself so physically, I should get some medicine or something.

Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah. Tonight I went over to a guy's house for dinner, and, per usual, when I first arrived I had the physical symptoms of anxiety--mostly sweating, though it was quite warm in his place--but absolutely no anxiety in terms of negative, anxiety-filled thoughts. It was fine. I sweated a little, let it pass, didn't even think about it, and within about ten minutes I'd cooled down and was able to fully relax. It was a great night with my friend and his wife.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hei daxter.i know how u feeel buddy.always wear perfume for the sweating never wear a jumper oh and the redness thing thats a killer but u shud realy get into foundation makeup coz it will totally disguise the redness and make u look nice! ching ching

·
Banned
728 Posts
Daxter, I can totally relate to you. My physical symptoms have gotten worst over the past year. Heavy sweating, voice shaking and heart pounding.

Someone here suggested a beta blocker, it helps alot. Specially for the heart pounding.

I have to go see a doc for to get a prescription. I've never tried benzos, but I will try getting that aswell as I think it could help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Daxter, I also have big issues with the physical symptoms - mostly sweating. If I start to sweat in a social situation, which I usually do, it tends to build on itself. The fact that I'm sweating a little makes me more nervous, and so I sweat a lot. Then of course I have to escape from the immediate area so I can regroup and cool down. This makes me fear situations where there is no easy escape, like the dentist office or barber shop or a line in a grocery store.

I've tried inderal, which slowed my heart and kept it from accelerating in social situations, so I think this helped, but when the meds wore off, my heart seemed to beet very rapidly. I tried taking it constantly, to avoid this slow/fast/slow heart rate, but my doc said that was a bad idea and took me off of it.

Anyone else have good solutions to stop facial sweating in social situations, or techniques that allow you to deal with it better?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Daxter, I also have big issues with the physical symptoms - mostly sweating. If I start to sweat in a social situation, which I usually do, it tends to build on itself. The fact that I'm sweating a little makes me more nervous, and so I sweat a lot. Then of course I have to escape from the immediate area so I can regroup and cool down. This makes me fear situations where there is no easy escape, like the dentist office or barber shop or a line in a grocery store.

I've tried inderal, which slowed my heart and kept it from accelerating in social situations, so I think this helped, but when the meds wore off, my heart seemed to beet very rapidly. I tried taking it constantly, to avoid this slow/fast/slow heart rate, but my doc said that was a bad idea and took me off of it.

Anyone else have good solutions to stop facial sweating in social situations, or techniques that allow you to deal with it better?
Sorry, I don't have any solutions, but I just wanted to say I can empathize. The "sweating" issue comes up a lot on SAS, but 90% of people refer to hands and underarm sweating. From what it sounds like, you're like me in that you have facial sweating, which has always felt to me far worse (maybe just because that's what I've got). I have never taken medication for mine, but it has gotten slightly better over the last couple years. Unless there is some deeper physiological problem behind it (i.e., beyond SA), I think it is just like all the other symptoms of SA--we have to learn to feel the symptoms, recognize them for what they are, not fight against them, and not panic. They come, and they pass. Yes, I still have to excuse myself occasionally to wipe my head and face with my ever-handy handkerchief, but that's OK. Anyway, just giving a shout out to commisserate with a fellow face sweater. Good luck!

·
Prince Procrastinator
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, it got really bad today and someone remarked I looked very nervous. I felt like I was a lot more tense than usual. I was a lot more red than usual (my face felt like it was burning!) and I got one of the worst shaky voices ever.

Maybe it's just all the schoolstress. If it doesn't change soon, I will have to see a doc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Daxter,
I wonder what people are thinking when they say that you look nervous. Do they think this is something that you are not aware of? If I look nervous, then I probably am nervous, and I will not benefit from you pointing it out to me. "Oh, I look nervous, thanks, I'll just go ahead and stop doing that."

If someone looks unattractive or overweight, poeple wouldn't bring it to their attention, so why would they tell me if I look nervous or scared or shy? Why would they say something like, "You don't talk much, do you?"

·
Prince Procrastinator
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Daxter,
I wonder what people are thinking when they say that you look nervous. Do they think this is something that you are not aware of? If I look nervous, then I probably am nervous, and I will not benefit from you pointing it out to me. "Oh, I look nervous, thanks, I'll just go ahead and stop doing that."

If someone looks unattractive or overweight, poeple wouldn't bring it to their attention, so why would they tell me if I look nervous or scared or shy? Why would they say something like, "You don't talk much, do you?"
I think 'that girl' was trying to help me. She told me to calm down, not to worry so much. I wish I could, but I can't. I tried. Pointing it out just leads to an emberassing situation where I make up some unconvincing non-SA related excuse.

I think people don't realise that telling somebody he/she looks nervous isn't going to make them less nervous. Some people do and just like to be jerks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts