Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Live. Laugh. Learn
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to work 7 straight 12-hour shifts starting tomorrow. 84 total hours in 7 days for one facility. I may pick up 8 hours at my part-time job too, might make it 92 total. :eek:

But that's actually not my personal record. I did 96 hours on two jobs back around January/February. Let's just say I didn't sleep much during that week.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
There were parts of grad school where I worked something like a hundred hours. I basically didn't do anything else, not much sleep either.

·
Live. Laugh. Learn
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There were parts of grad school where I worked something like a hundred hours. I basically didn't do anything else, not much sleep either.
Was it medical residency?

I see a lot of student M.D.s in my department all the time. They're there from like 6AM until 7PM every time I work.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
80. The longest day of work I've done was 22 hours.

·
Live. Laugh. Learn
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
80. The longest day of work I've done was 22 hours.
My longest was was 21 in a 24 hour span. 8 in inpatient unit, 5 in lab, 8 inpatient. They gave me a room to nap in one of the unoccupied floors.

·
Power Trip
1,016 Posts
Only about 50-55. I don't think I'd want to work anymore than that in this job, I don't need the money, and need a day off each week to stop myself going crazy.

·
Registered
10,478 Posts
Last 18 years I have been a salaried employee so I avoid OT like the plague since I don't get compensated for it. Back home when I worked direct care I had two jobs in two different towns that were 40 miles from each other. One day I worked 10 hours which was from Noon-10 pm and then drove 40 miles and worked at the other place until 7 am the next day. One time I worked until 10 pm and had to be back there at 3 am. I wish I opt to just stayed the rest of the night. Going to bed then getting 3 hours later to go to work sucked.

·
Banned
12,868 Posts
I never really counted but I'd say around 70 hours, I try to avoid O/T but sometimes its compulsary, I once worked from 6am to 11pm one day then was back in at 6am again next day I'd go crazy if I done that all the time though...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Was it medical residency?
No, I went to grad school in history. Medical residency has really long hours, too. Overall, probably even more than grad school in history, although it depends on what year in the program you're looking at.

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
Back in 2008, about 110 hours. Short-staffed over Christmas break at a caregiving facility, we slept on the grave-shifts. Awesome paycheck.

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
In Guatemala it's very common for people to work 12-14 hour shifts 6-7 days a week for minimum wage. Which is roughly $300 a month

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I've done around 70 quite a few times
69.5 hours.....in front of a computer screen :puke.
Fortunately, I had time off after that to recoup. That doesn't include the approximate 7.5 hours I spent commuting to and from work that week!

That would make it a 77 hour week, Now, I get overtime so they can't push me like that.

·
Live. Laugh. Learn
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They had me do 7AM-11PM today because the Saturday night guy called out. You're not allowed to do more than 16 in a day, so they had to get an RN to do overnights. I think I could have stayed another 4 hours until 3AM if I was allowed to.

Looks like it's gonna be 88 hours for the week. Maybe even more if they get me doing 16 hours a day/night.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts