Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

What do you think of Modern Art?

• I love it. It has deep meaning.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No opinion.

• Dog poop is just poop, not art. Modern Art is nonsense.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks back on 20/20 John Stossel looked at the topic of what is art. He had little kids (like a 4 year old girl) throw & smear paint on canvas and he also took pieces of modern are done by professional artists. He then brought in a group of art critics (aka snobs) to look at the various works and give their opinions on them. Some of the snobs (opps, I mean art critics) found the mess made by little kids to have deep meaning and express powerful emotions. Gee, who knew a kid tossing paint at a canvas was such a deep thinker?

Basically, Mr. Stossel found that these "experts" couldn't tell the difference between modern art done by someone in pre-school and a professional painter with a degree in art and experience. It was quite humorous when Stossel told the snobs that what they'd just praised was the work of a child and should be taped on the fridge, not hung in a museum.

Is modern are crap? Back in college they forced us to take an art class and I remember them bringing in a professional artist to talk to us. One of her works actually was a picture of dog crap. I'm not kidding! Could I make a living simply walking dogs with a camera in hand along with a pooper scooper?

What do you think?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I am all for experimentation in artistic endeavors, but it's true I could never understand the totally abstract stuff.

I'm sort of a "collage" guy, myself.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Regardless of this or that, I think genuine artistic expressions speak for themselves; they don't require experts to ascribe them price tags or cliche explanations about "raw emotion." In art, value--meaning--is most entirely subjective: if something feels good, let it be good!! :eyes

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
noonehappy said:
Regardless of this or that, I think genuine artistic expressions speak for themselves; they don't require experts to ascribe them price tags or cliche explanations about "raw emotion." In art, value--meaning--is most entirely subjective: if something feels good, let it be good!! :eyes
Entirely subjective, as you say, is exactly my problem with modern art. I'm very much into objective standards.

How do you put a price tag on paint splashed on canvas? I hold a degree in finance, so one answer finance folks would give is: the value is whatever somebody will pay.

But what about intrinsic value? In finance classes they teach how to value stocks based on the discounted value of all future cash flows. Well, art doesn't pay dividends, nor interest. Nor does it serve any practical purpose like a house that provides shelter. Art just hangs there on a wall, so how do we value it in dollars and does it have any value at all?

At least I get old art. Take a look at an old painting and see how wonderfully it depicts the human form in such stunning detail. Clearly it was done by somebody with incredible skill and talent. Now compare that to Warhol's giant Soup Cans -- I could make a giant cereral box -- how much would that be worth?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I'm not an expert and can't judge artistic merit, so just "like what I like". I don't dislike all modern art. I'm sure that some of it has artistic value. Artists look at art differently than people without an artistic background, presumably just as actors look at other actor's performances differently than non-actors.

·
Registered
538 Posts
UltraShy said:
Art just hangs there on a wall, so how do we value it in dollars and does it have any value at all?At least I get old art. Take a look at an old painting and see how wonderfully it depicts the human form in such stunning detail. Clearly it was done by somebody with incredible skill and talent. Now compare that to Warhol's giant Soup Cans -- I could make a giant cereral box -- how much would that be worth?
Well as a person who majored in art in college and hope to be a working artist someday, my feeling is that the value of art is measured by two things the concept and the demand. Warhols soup cans (and by the way I am Warhols biggest fan) are of value because he thought of doing it first he had an original idea and when he showed to the people who buy art they loved it and wanted it. If you could make a giant cereal box in an original way that interested people then it would have a value. The same with Jackson Pollock he was the first to ever create art with paint splatters and when people saw it they loved it and wanted to buy it.

In my opinion buying art is like men who decorate their home with sports memorabilia. My brother in law collects nascar crap it serves no purpose and has no real value its not collectors items or anything. But he has a connection to that stuff when he looks at it and its the same with people who buy art to decorate their homes, or look at it in galleries.

As far as, "old art" is concerned if you actually take the time to look at it it has many flaws (with the exception of Davinci) in the accuracy of its depiction of the human body and things like perspective. Look at a painting by Raphael and you'll see that his figures are NOT anatomically correct. I remember one painting where he had a man with feet three time the size of the mans head. But the way he arranged them on the canvass looked good to somebody and so it has value.

Finally, there is a method to putting prices on pieces of art. Obviously if your a world famous artist that you charge whatever you want for your work. But for the rest of us the basic formula according to my professors is this:
1. add up the cost of the materials you used
2. add up the number of hours you worked on the painting and multiply it by what you decide is you $/per salary (within reason).
3. add up the amounts in step one and two, thats what your painting is worth to you.
4. If you have your painting sold by a gallery or some third party person then you would have to add on 10 to twenty percent to the price of the painting because those people take a fee for every work they sell for you.

Putting a value on art is like putting a value on actors or singers. In My opinion Britney Spears has no talent and is not worth a penney, but someone out there does like her so she makes money based on the amount of value society places on her.

·
Registered
364 Posts
How do you put a price tag on paint splashed on canvas?
I know a guy who thinks exactly like you. This topic is so huge but you expect a short satisfactory answer.
I think modern art is the art for an artist. It often has references to old forms of art. It sometimes requires you to have knowledge of these old forms well, to have at least a clue what the poo is about. I don't often pay attention to modern art. But moderate exposure sometimes works.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Basically, Mr. Stossel found that these "experts" couldn't tell the difference between modern art done by someone in pre-school and a professional painter with a degree in art and experience.
there's something interesting about effortlessnes, and i'm sure these kids were. Many good artists are effortless.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Elephant Girl, Good luck in your art career! Its a difficult world. One thing needing correction: very few galleries take less than a 40% cut on artwork; 50% is standard.

I also do not think that we can accurately parallel modern art and abstract art. They are two different categories. Not all modern art is abstract. Some modern art is representational (objects recognized). Some is reprehensible. I love good abstract art. I want to see strong design implemented or something that I can connect with on an emotional or pyschological level. I qualify abstract art by learning the artist. I want to know that they are capable of realism (yea, I'm a pretty stiff critic), and that there is substance/purpose behind their work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts